Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Help, Gwyns gills are funny!

Ashlie

Reaction score
My axie's name is Gwynevere, she is over a year old and she has never gotten sick all the time shes been with me, shes tough as nails and can deal with anything.

But i got up this morning and noticed that there is a tiny patch on her gills that has gone white and clumpy. It doesnt seem to be irritating her at all, she is still acting normally and still eating like a hoarse.

Im just concearned that this might be something serious, and i dont have a clue what i should be doing about it, Please help!

Ashlie x

P.s.
Ive uploaded some pictures if they help.

Attachments

• arrows.bmp
    331.6 KB · Views: 303
  • more arrows.bmp
    232.7 KB · Views: 391

dragonlady

Reaction score
It looks like you may have a bit of fungus there. A salt bath should clear it right up.

If you don't know, it's 2-3 teaspoons of non-iodized salt per liter of dechlorinated water. Soak Gwyn for 10-15 min. but no longer than 15 min. ever. Once in the bath, you can use a cotton swab to gently remove the fungus, but be gentle. If a second bath is needed, wait 12 hours before doing it again.

You can remove her with your wet hand but be careful. If you don't feel comfortable, you can use a net, but a net can damage her fins. Just move very slowly as to not startle her. Take care.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1