Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Howdy! ( I wanted to be different.)

Hayden

Reaction score
Hi all!
I'm Hannah (Like Ophiophagus ;) ). I have two WONDERFUL Axolotls as well as a wealth of other animals, which I shall list for you if you ask. :)

I run tech for my school's theatre company (stage management and lighting), I ride horses, and I sing. (Auditioning for American Idol in about a week!)

I plan to double major in either herpetology/entomology or limnology/entomology, and I'm trying to get a leg up, so if you would please list the scientific name of your animals so I can memorize it and some facts about it, I would really appreciate it! :)

I already know:
Tylototriton Verrucosus
Cynops Orientalis

:) Also, I love smiley faces, so feel free to use an obnoxious amount. :)

jclee

Reaction score
Welcome aboard Hannah! This is an excellent place to learn about salamanders and newts.

I have 1.1.0 Leptopelis vermiculatus, 1.1.3 Ambystoma mexicanum, and 1.1.0 Eublepharis macularius. I've also got budgies and fish, but since you're thinking of herpetology, I'll keep the list short. Did you want common names, too? Or is part of the memorization to look them up on your own?

Hayden

Reaction score
Nice to meet you! :)
I know Abystoma Mexicanum, but I'll have to research the other two. Common names are a part of the research! :)
What kind of fish do you have? I have
-Raphael Cat
-Bumblebee Cats (x2)
-Dalmation mollies (x3)
-Blind Cave Tetras (x2)
-Dwarf Neon Rainbows (x2)
-Silver Dollars (x2)
90 Gallon Freshwater:
-Lima Shovelnose Cat
-Angelfish (x2)
-Synodontis Cat
-Blood Parrot Cichlid
-PLECZILLA! (15 inch Pleco)
-Bristlenose Pleco
Half Gallons (x4):
-Half-Giant Betta
-Crowntail Betta
-Female Deltatail
-(empty)
10 Gallons Freshwater:
-(empty, will hold fancy goldfish, or perhaps more axolotls)
10 Gallon Brackish:
-(empty, cycling for Fugu or Green Spotted Puffers)
50 Gallon Freshwater:
-Pond Comets (x5), I rescued these bad boys, all over a foot.
:) I love fish.

jclee

Reaction score
Sounds like you're really into fish! While you're doing some research on caudates, it might be worthwhile to research some of your fish species, to see what they like. Many tetras and barbs are schooling fish, and will feel comfortable in groups of 6 or more. The goldfish you're interested in get quite large and produce a lot of waste, so I don't think I would keep one in under 20 gallons.

There are also some awesome fish forums out there, if you're enjoying the forum experience and would like to learn more about your fish. Both Tropical Fish, Aquarium Fish, Care for Saltwater and Freshwater Fish, Aquarium Setup and Aquarium Forum have some great species profiles on their mainpages, so it might be worth checking them out.

Welcome aboard!

Hayden

Reaction score
Sounds like you're really into fish! While you're doing some research on caudates, it might be worthwhile to research some of your fish species, to see what they like. Many tetras and barbs are schooling fish, and will feel comfortable in groups of 6 or more. The goldfish you're interested in get quite large and produce a lot of waste, so I don't think I would keep one in under 20 gallons.

There are also some awesome fish forums out there, if you're enjoying the forum experience and would like to learn more about your fish. Both Tropical Fish, Aquarium Fish, Care for Saltwater and Freshwater Fish, Aquarium Setup and Aquarium Forum have some great species profiles on their mainpages, so it might be worth checking them out.

Welcome aboard!

I have done research on the fish species I have, unfortunately, leaving town for two days and having my heater explode doesn't really care about how much research you've done. :( I can't speak for barbs, because I've never owned any, but most Characidae are fine in groups of about three; you just need to keep them in odd numbered groups. I have also found that (especially with the blind cave tetras) they tend to cross school. They normally tend to stay with similar kinds, (ie livebearers with livebearers), but will create "superschools," especially if they have been living together for more than 3 months. :( So yes, I will get my numbers back up to where they should be, but it's a matter of time and what the pet stores have in stock.
As for the pond comets, they are living in a 50 gallon Rubbermaid tub, which is something a lot of Koi people do to winter over their fish. We are moving later this summer, and we are drawing plans for an actual pony, but until then, they are fine in the tub. :) Although, keeping a tub full of fish doesn't help erase the label of "crazy fish lady." The 10 gallon is being cycled for a baby fancy goldfish (probably a celestial eye or a red capped oranda) for my sister. I don't think I could even wedge a full grown pond comet into that thing! :lol:

Thank you though, for noticing and mentioning the problem in my tank. :) Most people wouldn't have had the guts, and you did it tactfully and kindly, and I WISH I had had someone like you my first few months of fishkeeping. :) One of my biggest pet peeves is people being ill prepared for the pets the purchase. I run an unofficial fish rescue so that people don't just kill their fish, they can rehome them. I rescued the comets. I had to scoop three dozen fish out of some lady's pond because she "didn't want them" and said if I didn't come get them, then she was going to fill the pond in with the fish still in it. :angry: Fortunately, I rehoused all but the five I decided to keep with people on the national Pond Tour. Throughout the entire process, we only lost one. :D I'll post pictures later.

jclee

Reaction score
Glad to hear you read up on the fishies as well!
Those celestial eye goldfish are wild looking! I had heard of them, but I hadn't really looked up a picture until now. Pretty neat.

Hayden

Reaction score
Nice to meet you Cherry and Debs! :) What do you guys have?
Jclee: Yup. :) I do my best. And aren't they crazy looking? You have to idiot proof the tank for them, but they're so cool. Definitely cooler than regular telescope eyes. :)

CherryBlossom

Reaction score
I have 2 paddle tail newts, both males and 2 italian crested newts. (one male and one female hopefully they will breed at some stage)

I got a small colony of red cherry shrimp.

One 9 year old goldfish.

3 kids and a 30 yr old husband who acts like the kids. hahahaha. xxxxxxxxxxx

Hayden

Reaction score
Oh, newts are such fun! My dog's name is Newt, but I do not have any currently.
What kind of goldfish?

Hayden

Reaction score
By the way Shannon, here is a complete list of my pets:

Siamese cat, Golden Retrievers, Morgan Horses, a Gypsy Vanner, a chinchilla, a White's Tree Frog, Axolotls, a Red Eared Slider, Bettas, Pond Comets, Black skirted Tetras, Glo-Light Tetras, Blind CAve Tetras, Raphael cats, bumblebee cats, mollies, Dwarf Neon Rainbows, Silver Dollars, Bloodfin tetras, Shovelnose Lima, Plecos, Synodontis Cat, Parrot Cichlid, Angelfish, White CLoud Mountain minnows and Ramshorn snails. I should charge admission to my house and call it a zoo. :)

CherryBlossom

Reaction score
i have no idea what type it is heehee. It was won at a fun fair 9 yrs ago before they banned the use of fish as prizes. :S To be honest I didnt expect it to last this long but it has.

Hayden

Reaction score
Oh, cool. What's his name? And goldfish should live around 20 years. The world record is 46.

CherryBlossom

Reaction score
we call it the atomic flounder... cos its has survived everything possible hahaha. But my daughter (who has decided it is hers) calls it Sandy.

Hayden

Reaction score
Atomic Flounder = fish name win. But Sandy is so cute. Is she a Spongebob fan? :)

caudatadude28

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. I keep:

~Ambystoma laterale
~Ambystoma Maculatum
~Ambystoma tigrinum
~Cynops ensicauda popei
~Notophthalmus viridescens louisianensis
~Triturus Dobrogicus
~Tylototriton Verrucosus

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1