Just for laughs, and to prove its possible.

misslyss

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Alyssa
I was chatting with some locals at the pet store the other day (mainly snake owners, none of which are newt keepers) and found myself in an interesting conversation. It was basically on what types of people keep salamanders and other amphibians. After someone made the generalization that the majority of newt and caudate keepers are young boys and men (along with other things on the hobby I found offending!), the innocent conversation turned into a hot debate. This inspired me to take a picture of the spare room I keep some of my salamanders in to prove a point and hopefully make someone smile!

Basically I've managed to get a chandelier, Marilyn Monroe, and salamanders in the same picture. Whoever said this hobby is anything less than glamourous has yet to see my classy collection of caudates. So heres to the caudate collecting ladies, I know I'm not the only one!

Although those might appear to be ordinary storage boxes filled with winter clothes.. they're not. This is only one aspect of my newt setups, (the rest are even more lady like) but you get the main idea of this post.

Not sure what reaction I'll get (if any) but I enjoyed posting (and venting). :p

Attachments

• perfectly camoflauged salamanders in ultra girly room.jpg
    perfectly camoflauged salamanders in ultra girly room.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 228
Last edited:
Heh... I like it. :D Looks quite a bit like many animals rooms I've seen. Except it's nice. And it's clean. And the lids are on the containers. And the lamp is still attached to the ceiling. And there is a ceiling. And the bed is made. And there is no overflowing ashtray or smelly socks. And the picture is of Monroe and not Manson. And the picture has a picture frame. And there is no pair of dirty underwear hanging on the edge of the picture frame.
Other than that?...Same ol' same ol'. ;)

*thumbs up* I keep my newts bugs in a hot pink mini fridge! Now thats girly!

Strange...If I were asked I would have said most Newt/Salamander owners were women with young families...shows what I know!

I am usually the only one with two x chromosomes at the exotic pet stores I frequent. However, I am by no means a girly girl, so I don't know if I count. I would much rather slap on some waders and search for creepy crawlies than wear make up to the mall. Although, I DO enjoy Hot Topic...

I hear ya. I've been into herps since I was able to walk, and I still get a little fumed when I walk into some manner of pet store and have someone who half knows what he's talking about trying to "educate" me. (I'm not trying to offend all men who work in pet stores, but it does happen quite a lot.) What's even funnier is how often the same individuals hit on me once they realize I know my stuff. Same thing happens to me with comic book stores.

Same. People expect me to ask where the sweaters for my Chihuahuas are just because I'm a girl. Or people talk to me like I'm four just because I'm younger.

Girls are more axolotlic type. Rarely are seen with others than those. Oh cynops orientalis and pachytriton labiatus are also frequent. I think I only know Jen, Dawn, Audrey and Kaysie that keep a lot more than only that. But i would not call them girls but Ladies instead. About the young boys.... Well If you see Gersfeld meeting all the PRO´s in there are 40+ and many are writers with some publications... I would not call them kids.

Alyssa I do have the same addiction to keep most of my terrestrial caudates under my bed but no Marilyn Monroe on the walls :D

Greetz,
Jorge

About the young boys.... Well If you see Gersfeld meeting all the PRO´s in there are 40+ and many are writers with some publications... I would not call them kids.

I'm a young boy! Though it's true, I am no expert and lack any notable herpetological publications. :rolleyes:

I'm a young boy! Though it's true, I am no expert and lack any notable herpetological publications. :rolleyes:

All in good time!! xDD

I agree Jorge, i think women appear to be more inclined to axolotls. Certainly, among the true axolotl experts around the forum, most are women!

All i know is if i ever have a daughter she is going to be knee deep in mud until she is old enough to ignore me, and instead of barbies, her presents will be on the line of microscope, wader, wildlife encyclopaedia and such xDDD

All i know is if i ever have a daughter she is going to be knee deep in mud until she is old enough to ignore me, and instead of barbies, her presents will be on the line of microscope, wader, wildlife encyclopaedia and such xDDD

Would now be a good time to admit that, as a young girl, I was frequently knee-deep in mud, I had a microscope and wildlife encyclopedias (among many other "nature" books), and by the time I was ~11, I demanded a pair of waders so I could go poking through swamps without worrying about the leeches.

:p

(I seem to recall that I also owned barbies, but they were frequently given buzz-cuts and decapitated.)

My eyes are watering with the prospects of having a daughter like you Jclee xDD Ah, the pride....

I was just like that too...but of course no-one is impressed cause i´m a lad :p

Edit: Just so nobody thinks i´m going to be a terrible, fascist father that deprives his own daughter from playing with dollies, i would like to clarify that my hypothetical daughter will probably have one knee deep in the mud and the other knee deep in toys (barbies, lego, action-men... she´ll choose)xDDD

Last edited:
Would now be a good time to admit that, as a young girl, I was frequently knee-deep in mud, I had a microscope and wildlife encyclopedias (among many other "nature" books), and by the time I was ~11, I demanded a pair of waders so I could go poking through swamps without worrying about the leeches.

:p

(I seem to recall that I also owned barbies, but they were frequently given buzz-cuts and decapitated.)

Would now be a good time to admit that I am a young girl, and that I am frequently knee deep in mud, I have a microscope staked out in the biology lab that no one else is allowed to use, and my entire bookshelf is filled with pond and swamp life guides?

I also had Barbies, but my sister and I would build them rafts and fill little backpacks with survival necessities and float them down the river.

See? I knew that would come out all wrong xDD

Oh Azhael,

I think I have the daughter of your dreams! My little 6 year old is forever bringing me worms that she has dug up, wants a pet cameroon caecilian, and takes great pleasure in helping me feed my zoo! She can't walk by a body of water without stepping in and her clothes stay muddier than either of her brothers!

My twin boys on the other hand, hate getting dirty, won't touch a frog or anything that doesn't have fur for that matter...what's wrong with this picture!?!?!? lol xD

Oh Azhael,

I think I have the daughter of your dreams! My little 6 year old is forever bringing me worms that she has dug up, wants a pet cameroon caecilian, and takes great pleasure in helping me feed my zoo! She can't walk by a body of water without stepping in and her clothes stay muddier than either of her brothers!

My twin boys on the other hand, hate getting dirty, won't touch a frog or anything that doesn't have fur for that matter...what's wrong with this picture!?!?!? lol xD

Not a thing. ;) Sounds like they're all just happy being themselves, which is always downright awesome.

I've always been knee deep in the mud and bringing home the creepy crawlies as a kid! The typical tomboy if you will. So cheers to all the caudate keeping chicks like myself!!! Good call Alyssa, there are plenty of us.
I also have five boys and one girl. And my daughter can be worse than my boys as well when it comes to getting dirty. I'm still trying to teach my 7 year old to put a worm on his hook, without squealing like a girl. :p

I've always been knee deep in the mud and bringing home the creepy crawlies as a kid! The typical tomboy if you will. So cheers to all the caudate keeping chicks like myself!!! Good call Alyssa, there are plenty of us.
I also have five boys and one girl. And my daughter can be worse than my boys as well when it comes to getting dirty. I'm still trying to teach my 7 year old to put a worm on his hook, without squealing like a girl. :p

Wow! 6 Child?! You are the most busy of all of us members.:D
How you grab time to your animals with so many child orbiting you? xDD:ufo:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back