I got my chiller!

tomkeogh

Reaction score
Country
England
Display Name
El Duque
I got my Halea chiller yesterdy. It has been running for 24 hours now at a cool 17degree's, It is such a weight of my mind not having to worry about temperature any more, I have also finally figured out how to cool my little tank using ice bottles with no temperature fluctuations, so, yeah everything is rosey....it is a little loud though and HUGE!

Last edited:
Congratulations man. I tried to find a Halea around here but couldn't. They seem pretty reasonable and of decent quality. :D
Stuck with my water cooler for a while longer.

do you have a link for your cooler? Some product info? Was it reasonably priced? Glad you got somethin sorted :) xx

CHILLER,COOLER ! FOR AQUARIUMS OR HYDROPONICS HC-150A on eBay (end time 23-Jul-10 16:59:07 BST)

It is hard to work out if price was good, I think it was good value but all the chillers confuse me so it is hard to compare....the postage cost was very reasonable I would highly recommend using this seller if you buy a chiller

Edit: I would have thought they were available in the USA it is a bit strange that they well in UK and Oz but not in America?

Oh, and I have about 150-175 litres in the tank.

Cherryblossom: I thought you would have no need for a chiller up in Scotland! I would have thought you would be the only Axolotl owner with a heater!

Last edited:
Edit: I would have thought they were available in the USA it is a bit strange that they well in UK and Oz but not in America?

I couldn't find one on Ebay US but I did find a couple of protein skimmers as I recall. I wrote them about US distribution but haven't heard anything yet. Maybe I ought to sell them on Ebay! :D

aaah yeah I saw that chiller on ebay! Nice one!

Its bloody hot here just now! Which is very unusual!!

Im struggling to keep my tanks lower than 20C most days! Winters harsh here tho. But im preparing for that... I have already bought one heater.... just another 2 to buy for the other tanks... and possibly a 3rd for my shrimp culture tank too!

Well, after using the chiller for a few days it seems it is capable of chilling to 10degree below the ambient room temperature, the chiller is designed for a 150litre tank, in my whole system I have maybe 170-180 so it is quiet good, but I dont think it could manage much cooler.

nice, i saw that one, shame my tank is too small....for now.

Can i ask, how loud is it? I know you said loud, but how loud?

In the current weather is it on permanently cooling or does it switch on and off as it gets to temp?

Well, I would say it is slightly louder than a house fan, sounds a bit like a fridge when it kicks off, it is fine during the day but at night it is going to take a little getting used too, it runs for 21hours a day regardless, but it also stops cooling once it reaches desired temp and doesn't kick in until it rises by 0.9 degree, once it hits 17, which I have it set too, it takes about 2-3 hours to rise back to 18degree, overall I am happy with it, it is a little annoying because it is so big about 30"x60x60 and because of aeration cant be kept in the cabinet, so is taking up quiet a bit of space.

Edit: I saw a chiller for a 60 litre on e-bay..it was about £170 all told...not sure about water flow etc

Last edited:
It took forever to get used to how loud the chiller was. They say it's no louder than a fridge but I disagree!

I got my Halea chiller yesterdy. It has been running for 24 hours now at a cool 17degree's, It is such a weight of my mind not having to worry about temperature any more, I have also finally figured out how to cool my little tank using ice bottles with no temperature fluctuations, so, yeah everything is rosey....it is a little loud though and HUGE!

I'm in desperate need of better info on using ice bottles. I can't afford a chiller right now and I'm seriously concerned about my little ones as it's heading into summer down here and we can expect weeks of 40C+ ( 45-50 in the sun sometimes) ambient temperatures. You can see how careful I'm going to have to be here... I have two Axalotls in a 120 litre tank.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back