Question: Issue with gills?

Natasha

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello there

I wonder if you can help me please. My lovely leucistic Axolotl Jub Jub appears to have a potential issue with her gills and filaments. She appears to have what I believe are a few extra larger filaments around the back of her gills.

All appear OK except on her top gill on her right, the extra filament has become enlarged, swollen and very red. The gill it is attached to appears to have shrunk a little and has lost a lot of it pink colour (very pale). There is no white fungus, she had a little of that last year but I treated that successfully and she doesn't appear to have a parasite. I have searched your forums to find an answer for this, I am sadly still at a loss and to what this is. Any advise please?

Sorry I cannot provide pictures and tank details just yet (will very soon) as her tank is currently being rebuilt and I have no more test kits to check her temporary tank. What I can tell you is that the bottom of the tank is bare with a hiding place and I am keeping the light off due to the heat. The temperature in there is currently 21C so I am planning a little fridge holiday for her very shortly (fan and ice packs aren't working).

Any advice you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and kindest regards

Natasha

I'm sure others will ask, could you provide a photo?

As with Gill colour, I find my axies gills change colours depending on how active he is and when he last ate.

Will allow the experts to comment on any potential health issues but that's my two-penneth. :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back