Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New 46gal tank, tahitian moon sand and mexican pebble

kuphie

Reaction score
I finally upgraded to a 46 gal bow front tank and switched to sand for my Axies.
Tahitian moon sand w/ Mexican pebbles; live amazon swords and some fake plastic roots.
constructive criticism welcome.

I still have my old whisper 40 filter. I want to switch to this marineland c-360 canister filter i have but i worry about it being to much water flow.
I'm also thinking about using my air pump to make a bubble wall on the back of the tank, but i worry that it might stress them out.

Attachments

• pink camera 103.jpg
    pink camera 103.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 3,492
  • pink camera 112.jpg
    pink camera 112.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 4,026

tomkeogh

Reaction score
Looks great, nice and dark for them...I bet you are going to have many a panicked time trying to find your wild! I planned to use the thahitian moon sand but accidentally ordered white moon sand!

Why are you worried about using the air pump? by a valve so you can adjust air flow

Mac Myers

Reaction score
I still have my old whisper 40 filter. I want to switch to this marineland c-360 canister filter i have but i worry about it being to much water flow.
I'm also thinking about using my air pump to make a bubble wall on the back of the tank, but i worry that it might stress them out.

You can get "spray bar" to diffuse the water flow. Just aim it at the tank wall... even above the surface to minimize water disturbance. :happy:

dragonlady

Reaction score
Looks great kuphie! Nice to see everybody doing so well! I think some bubbles in the background would look really cool too! :D

kuphie

Reaction score
thanks for all the advise and nice comments. :D

tomkeogh: I'm worried the bubbles will scare them, but i like the idea of having the wall of bubbles in the background. just need confidence that it's not going to be stressful.

Mac Myers: i will have to try and find a spray bar. I'm guessing the maker of the filters might have that as a special part that i can order online?

tomkeogh

Reaction score
I have an airstone in both of my tanks, they seem to love playing in the bubbles! like I say you can buy a valve for your air pump if you are worried...

carriw

Reaction score
thanks for all the advise and nice comments. :D

tomkeogh: I'm worried the bubbles will scare them, but i like the idea of having the wall of bubbles in the background. just need confidence that it's not going to be stressful.

Blanco loves his bubbles. Whilst we were just eating dinner (his tank is in the dining room) he was bouncing up and down in them. He positions himself over them by balancing between the top of his cave and the glass, so they can hit his belly, and then lets go and floats around! Im sure your guys will love their new bubbles.

jclee

Reaction score
Those are some impressive Amazon Swords! I never have much luck with them, myself. (I suspect I don't have enough iron in my water).

Just to give you a heads-up, the arrowhead plant on the right is not a true aquatic. It will grow hydroponically, and it should live for a while, but if it's fully submersed, it will die off suddenly after a while. You could try positioning it so that some of the leaves begin to break the water's surface and trail out of the tank, though, and then it will live forever. (I'm doing that with some pothos plants at the moment.)
;)

Beautiful tank.

kuphie

Reaction score
yeah... It's funny you should mention that. I bought those plants at Petco and they were sold as an "aquatic plant combo" when i looked it up online i found out it's a common houseplant. never trust what you buy at Petco, especially since i found out some species are mildly toxic. BWAHH??? i took those plants out of my tank and there will be a complaint in the near future.

Mac Myers

Reaction score
Mac Myers: i will have to try and find a spray bar. I'm guessing the maker of the filters might have that as a special part that i can order online?

Usually the filter manufacturer will offer one. If not you can adapt one from Fluval or Zoo Med. You can also make one out of cheap stuff from a home improvement store. A few feet of tubing sealed with silicone on one end with some holes drilled along the side can work as well. PVC if you want it rigid. It's easier if your filter maker offers different nozzles for water direction. :happy:

dazkeirle

Reaction score
I have an airstone in both of my tanks, they seem to love playing in the bubbles! like I say you can buy a valve for your air pump if you are worried...

Agree with Tom here, mine also likes playing in the bubbles, but only when they aren't at full whack.

You can either pinch the airline to reduce the flow or buy a cheap valve.

I just got a valve from pets@home, it take one airline and outputs to two with two seperate valves and cost £2.

This is great as only half the output now and it's controllable. It also frees up a airline for vacuum.

I find my axie likes to use bubbles as a launch pad, to get hight before swimming about.

kuphie

Reaction score
still trying to find a spray bar that will work, doesn't look like marineland makes one for this filter. thanks for all the input and advice. i can't wait to set up my bubbles now. sounds like they will actually like it instead of being stressed like i thought. :eek:

ted22

Reaction score
Yeah most axies love the bubbles, have heard of a few that dont like em but I guess its all down to the individuals, you may have one that loves the bubbles and one that doesnt, either way id put the bubbles in and if one of them doesnt like it he should stay away from them! You'l probably find they'll both be bobbin about in the bubbles quite abit its like an axolotl jaccuzzi!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1