Hello, question related to Noto

hjh

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi.

By way of introduction, I have both Xenopus and dwarf African clawed frogs in tanks indoors. I've bred the dwarfs but not the Xenopus. My interest in posting here is related to Eastern newts.

I now have an outdoor pond, which is just a hole in the ground, about 6 feet in diameter. The soil has enough clay to reduce infiltration but I need to add rain water or well water every several days. The main amphibian population is green frogs. There are water beetles, duckweed, rooted plants of various sorts, and who knows what. I think tree frogs bred in the pond one year. But probably no fish or turtles, and the pond is too small to attract heron. This is in southern MD near the freshwater Potomac.

From what I've read, small muddy holes are decent habitat for adult newts. I'm not sure that the surrounding woods is wet enough for the efts. There is a nice wetland about 1/2 a mile away and springs closer than that (but not on my land).

Any opinion on whether newts would thrive in this pond? If they might, any suggestions on how to catch some? I should add that I have never seen a red eft on my property, and I am often outdoors while it's raining.

hjh

I've seen them in smaller holes in the ground.;) The biggest deciding factor would be water depth. If it is deep enough, say 24 inches, for them to dodge the summer heat and winter ice then they should inhabit your pond, in time.

The spot and scoop method is the best way to catch newts. Spot the newt and then try to scoop it up with a fish net.:D Walking the edges of ponds at night with a bright flashlight will make it a little easier as the newts will be close to the bank feeding.

Have you checked the pond during the winter months for newts?

The best way to catch adults, in my opinion, is to use the hand that is not holding the net to sort of startle them into the net. It works everytime. Keep the net still in the water and use the other hand to guide them towards the net. This way instead of fleeing from the moving net they will flee from the moving hand into the net. I've done this often with notos in the wild to show my kids, since I keep a few captive ones, they think it is cool to see the very same species in its natural habitat, that mommy has in a large tank at home.

Thanks for the suggestions on catching newts. A friend has seen some about 2.5 hrs away in the upper Potomac. I have never seen any newts locally, or any efts. The efts used to be easy to spot in upstate NY after a rain, so I am fairly sure there are none here.

The point about summer heat is good. The pond sometimes gets down to maybe 4" in the summer. I'm constructing a second pond. I will look into trying for more depth in the second pond and maybe deepen the first. Both get considerable sun and with 100F air temps it must get really hot for a water breather.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back