Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

To the Zoo in a Plastic Box

Ken Worthington

Reaction score
Hi, I came across this recommendation via a Frank Indiviglo article; Collecting Live Food for Reptiles and Amphibians: an Entomologist’s Technique | That Reptile Blog

"To the Zoo in a Plastic Box (Newmark, 1965; Random House). A hilarious and informative account of two brothers’ adventures collecting insects and herps for the London Zoo, the book is a true gem…please read it if possible."

Has anyone read this book? It sounds great....

(Note to self....dig out my old copy of "My family and other animals" Gerald Durrell)

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm reading it right now...I'm about 1/3 through. It's delightful. It's about two twin brothers who join the service so they can see the world and collect animals (not recent). Then they send them to the London Zoo (it's an older book).

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I finally finished the book. Not anything against the book, but I have less time to read these days. It was as I said above, a memoir rather than a "how-to" book. [There are some tid-bits here and there on how to actually collect and find animals in the wild, but not much. There is a section in the back on the subject, but you can get at least that much information (way, way more) by perusing the forum or just doing a search on 'how to collect insects' or 'amphibians' or something.] I'm glad I read it!

Ken Worthington

Reaction score
Ah good! I'm glad you enjoyed it, I've still yet to find a copy.
I did imagine that it was more 'biography' than 'biology' but a great subject matter :happy:

JGNewmark

Reaction score
I only just saw this post, hopefully someone will see my response!

I am the great-nephew of John and George Newmark, the authors of this book. In the late 90s I created a website with their second book "Two by Two to London Zoo". It is free to download (donation to WWF encouraged) and can be found at http://wildaboutwildlife.org.uk

I signed up purely to post this reply, please feel free to create a new post in an appropriate manner, if you feel it is worthwhile.

Thanks,

Ben

findi

Herpetologist & Author
Reaction score
Hi, I came across this recommendation via a Frank Indiviglo article; Collecting Live Food for Reptiles and Amphibians: an Entomologist’s Technique | That Reptile Blog

"To the Zoo in a Plastic Box (Newmark, 1965; Random House). A hilarious and informative account of two brothers’ adventures collecting insects and herps for the London Zoo, the book is a true gem…please read it if possible."

Has anyone read this book? It sounds great....

(Note to self....dig out my old copy of "My family and other animals" Gerald Durrell)

Hi all,

Thanks for your interest in my article...this book is a real joy to read, written in a style that is very rare these days. Along lines of Gerard Durrell, and reminiscent of times when folks had wide interests. I love "naturalist style" books filled with personal accounts; Ditmars, Moore, Sweeney and others influenced me greatly as a youth, and continue to do so. Today we can find a similar style in some of Dick and Patti Bartlett's work (along with top notch info, of course) and Jack Rudloe's books (most on marine creatures; his Time of the Turtle is a classic, but The Sea Brings Forth is my favorite). I was lucky enough to meet Jack this summer, thrilling, and have benefitted from a friendship with the Bartletts for many years. Hope you enjoy some of these wonderful books, let me know if you need other suggestions, Best, Frank

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!