RIP Smiley.....

paullism

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Paul
:cry::sad:

I am very sad to say that one of Chelsea's axies died this morning due to an unfortunate attack over the weekend. She was so gentle & timid.

Thanks Julia. I don't know what I am going to say to Chelsea.......

I don't know if this helps in any shape or form, but this is what I have done in the past regarding children and the death of a pet.
All animals when the die move onto the 'happy hunting ground', its their equivalent of our heaven. For an axolotl I would ask them to picture a beautiful cool lake, surrounded by trees/ flowers etc. The sun is shining and the birds singing. In the lovely cool clear water your axolotl is smiling, watching the little fishes/ big fat juicy worms etc etc... I could go , but you know what your daughter likes . Children are tough little things, but they need to visualise things like this. Its also ok to be sad, give her time to think, and be ready for any questions. I have found on many times as long as they can visualise a better place for their pets, they tend to accept the situation better.

im sorry for your loss......when we lost our larry...... my kids sat down and they all made a cross and drew lovely pictures(like julia said) of a nice big lake somewhere in mexico and then we gathered in the back yard and said a few words and shared a few tears
i hope everythings goes ok for you
lea

Thanks Every one - Smiley was attacked by the others. She previously lost half her gills, so it was just a matter of time. Thanks for all the advice with regards to Chelsea. We will take smiley to my mum's as we live in an apartment. We will buy a plant & place Smiley under it, Smiley will then remain with us.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back