Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What should I keep in my new terrarium?

JWERNER

Reaction score
So I put together a new tank the other month. Its a 46 bow with a DIY Drylock back ground and a few plants that do good at room temps. It looks perfect for Dart Frogs but I dont feel like doing those again cause I wanna keep the tank at lower temps and its hard to find pin heads around here. I dont like shipping things much.

Any Sals maybe?

I have lots more plants in the planning. Im just ding it all slow so I dont finish it right away and get bored. I have incorporated a few planters into the background I gotta fill in.

Attachments

• DSCN0818.jpg
    DSCN0818.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 3,370
  • DSCN0808.jpg
    DSCN0808.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 22,504
Last edited:

jclee

Reaction score
How tall is the tank, and what are the humidity readings? It looks like it could be a lot of fun for a few of the tree frog species.

JWERNER

Reaction score
Tree frogs ran through my mind but I have a deep drainage bed taking up lots of verticle space.

Besides, when I do arboreal's I like to do something that resembles more of the tree tops with lots of leaves.

This is gunna be something terrestrial.

Manion

Reaction score
The habitat itself looks ideal for Red Spotted Newts, and it looks suitable for just a tad more than two. Only problem with them is that they will only stay terrestrial for a few years (In their Red Eft stage). After the years are up, they'll be aquatic.

jclee

Reaction score
Maybe you could poke around the caudata culture species database for a species that is terrestrial for a longer period of time than eastern newts, then. Or take in the slimy salamanders that someone just listed in the FS section as needing a new home. I glanced at their care page, and they seem to be terrestrial throughout adult life. Caudata Culture Species Entry - Plethodon glutinosus complex

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Nope, they will need to dig, and they might make a mess of all the tank.

NecturusLindsay

Reaction score
If you're not dead set on caudates, it looks like a gold dust day gecko would love it in there. I've always wanted one...they're just too cute.

Attachments

• daygecko.jpg
    daygecko.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 2,644

NecturusLindsay

Reaction score
Two lined sals, a red sal or a dusky might also work. Though I know dusky salamanders usually choose a home at the base of streams...
It's a great set up; you'll find something!

JWERNER

Reaction score
I think I found the new tennants.

At least for now.

I went out again looking for some salamanders and I found a drainage pool that sparked some interest. There was a small amount of tadpoles of different sizes but I just ignored those cause thats not what I was looking for.

I started flipping rocks and I began finding tons of little tree frogs. From what I could tell since some where still in transitioning ther was Green Tree frogs, Spring Peepers, and even some Greys. Unfortunately most of them had some sort of defect or abnormality.

Some had the front legs grown in with just one rear and some had huge front legs with just nubs for rear legs. Some still had lots of tail left and were fanned and some were sort of crested in a way.

There was a soy feild a few yards away so maybe it was a pesticide but the water was very warm.Maybe thats what was causing the problem.

Anyway, I started to grab a few cause they were everywhere and I got some pics of the ones I brought back.

I also added some tall grass from out in the front yard.

I wish I had the camera, sad as it was it would spark some interest to see a almost fully developed from with a crested tail. Got plans to go back later in the week so maybe I'll remember the camera.

OH and if I get around to it I put up this wicked cool video from my cell of a gigantic Hornet beating the snot out of a cicada!

Attachments

• DSCN0891.jpg
    DSCN0891.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 329
  • DSCN0890.jpg
    DSCN0890.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 326
  • DSCN0879.jpg
    DSCN0879.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 277
  • DSCN0885.jpg
    DSCN0885.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 293
  • DSCN0867.jpg
    DSCN0867.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 378
  • DSCN0877.jpg
    DSCN0877.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 358
Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1