Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Stressed baby axolotls please help!

Egglebear

Reaction score
Hello people
i need sum advice on water flow solutions, as my efforts have not helped. i am a first time axolotl keeper and I've had my two baby axies since Thursday (8th of July 2010) I'm really worried about them because their gills are curving forwards and i know this is a sign of stress.
I've tested the water for pH and ammonia witch are both fine so I'm guessing tht just leaves water flow as the result of stress.
i am using a interpet pf3 internal filter with a spray bar facing towards the side of the tank and i have put it on the lowest output setting :(
any suggestions where i go from here?

they are eating well tho and have no signs of sickness yet but I'm worried about prolonging their stress

tomkeogh

Reaction score
What size are they? how big is the tank? what is the temp? can you provide any pictures of the axolotl and the tank?

The more information you provide the more likely you are to get accurate advice

Egglebear

Reaction score
they are about 5/6 cm long, the tank is 3ft long the temperature is 22c, i'll try and take sum pictures but the quality wont be very good :(

daremo

Reaction score
do you actually feel any water flow if you put your hand in the tank??

I have an internal filter and what I do is use a hose with holes in it to reduce flowing (I don't even feel the water flowing), the air pump makes more movement but it doesn't bother the axie at all

sometimes mine has its gills up and curled forward but I noticed that it goes away (actually I noticed that last time that attitude went away after he pooped... for real!)

Just check the water parameters, maybe it's a little too hot for them at 22° , and try to feel yourself if there is too much water flow in the tank

deliriah

Reaction score
22 degrees sounds a little high but I wouldn't say that is the problem definately without a picture of the axie and your setup first. Even a not so great quality picture will probably give us a little more insight.

Egglebear

Reaction score
pictures

Attachments

• DSC01671.jpg
    DSC01671.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 626
  • DSC01672.jpg
    DSC01672.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 622
  • DSC01673.jpg
    DSC01673.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 887

Egglebear

Reaction score
i can feel the water coming out of the holes of the spray bar but thts meant to be there right? the further i am away from the bar i can't feel anything plus i have plants floating about and i can't see them moving much. do you think i could be over feeding them if they need to poop? they have been pooping quite a lot i heard they only go every so often and they have been going every day but i thought maybe this is due to the temperature making their metabolic rate faster or because they are babies and need to be fed every day.

daremo

Reaction score
I don't see anything bad there... I think they may be just exploring the new surroundings, they don't look badly stressed or anything

Are they eating well?

daremo

Reaction score
haha no I don't say they are being over fed, only that I just noticed that on my axie, and he eats a lot and goes very so often as you say...

If they eat that's always a good sign, besides they are little guys... they're cute

If you don't feel the water being agitated and the plants are still, I'd say it's ok for the axies, I think they are just getting to know their new home, consider that they small creatures and they don't have the best sight in the world, so imagine how it feels to be in a new environment when you can't see well, that's how they feel.. there may be a little stress but they will be fine when they get used to.

Also make sure they have some dark little place to hide, they like that!

Egglebear

Reaction score
yea they've got two pretty good dark hiding places and fake plants they lay under but they're normally out and about, i just worry its been sum time now i feel like I'm doing something wrong :(

tomkeogh

Reaction score
My internet is being slow and I cant maximise the pictures but it looks fine, My only advice would be to get an external filter, with such a large tank an internal filter will be working pretty hard, this wont help with temperature among other things, you should be able to pick up one for £60-70 I would imagine.

Do not put too much emphasis on forward pointing gills, Yes it is a sign of stress but not all the time I have an albino who has a couple gills always forward.

Her gills look nice and big so you must be doing things right, what are you feeding them? when mine were on bloodworm they pooped a lot at that size they should be able to eat earthworm, if you can get them on earthworm they will grow so fast,

At 22deg you have to try to keep it from rising. do you also know nitrite and nitrate readings?

melfly

Reaction score
Hi
They're gorgeous!
I wouldn't worry too much.
Try and get the temp down to 20. Sometimes at that age their gills are a little bit long and the weight can pull them forward a bit.
Just watch for them curling right over towards their eyes or the tip of their tail looking bent. Those are definite signs of stress!

Good luck.
Mel

daremo

Reaction score
just keep an eye on the axies and water parameters

As juveniles they are more active, don't expect them to be doing nothing, mine was crazy when younger (now he's more calm but still swims quite a bit!)
he would swim around the tank like crazy, and it worried me too, but it was just his (or her) personality.. when I clean around the tank he follows the hose I use and tries to bite it, and of course he likes to catch my fingers too!

I think that hunger is always a good sign, they will calm down and be playful and that will be normal, just keep an eye on them and let them investigate and get used to their new place and to you, you will see how they learn to recognize you and beg for food!!

they're funny little guys with a lot of character !

I'm sure you're doing fine, their tank looks quite nice! I'd give it a try with real plants (I'm a total fan of them!), mine likes to stand on plants, I added a java moss and I say he has a "couch" because he lays there all comfy, it's very funny...

deliriah

Reaction score
They look great to me. I think daremo is right they are just exploring. They are very cute. And eating well and pooping lots is a good sign of health. As others have said just watch your temps, try and get them down a bit and be sure they don't get higher than 22. We all worry about our pets, there's nothing wrong with that, you look like you're doing a good job.

Egglebear

Reaction score
aww thanks guys i really appreciate all the support.
yea i'm feeding them frozen bloodworms which i defrost using a cup of boiling water and then put a smaller cup with the frozen bloodworms inside to melt and warm up a bit (like a baby bottle) is this what ur meant to do? yea i really want to get them eating earthworms so they can be fed by hand, i was going to home cultivate them so i know they're safe.
and the heat issue i've found tht my air conditioner unit which is in the picture has helped keep the tempreture from getting too high and cools the tank slowly

melfly

Reaction score
I just put my bloodworm in water to defrost, usually doesnt take long. It also rinses off some of the yellow water.

Try offering live bloodworm on tweezers or plastic tongs if you fancy hand feeding now.
Its great to hand feed. Although they do tend to 'miss' the food a lot and nip my fingers. (which i'm sure is just a plot against me lol)

Mel

Egglebear

Reaction score
I've now noticed a small snail in the tank i think it arrived when i got sum weed to aerate the tank, i don't think the live plant is getting enough daylight as my tank is out of direct view, i think the dying plant has also brought other visitors (tiny white wiggly worms)
I'm really going to rethink the tank set up.

harliquinnraver

Reaction score

Egglebear

Reaction score
i found out what the wiggly worm things are they're midge larvae and are good food for the axies lol thts a relief

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1