Question: Salt bath fungus infection

waterbabys

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Stevie
I posted a thread about 12.30 today but its gone can’t found it anywhere so I’m trying again.
I believe my newt has a fungus infection the end of his tail went red then black and broke off, I’m going to give him a salt bath but I’m not that sure how, do I use just enough water to cover him or should he be able to swim in it? And how much salt do I use? How long should he stay in it for?

Here is an excerpt from the thread that I posted before.:

Salt solutions are most commonly used for external Saprolegnia species infections. These fungi produce fuzzy white or grey masses. Concentrations of salt used vary from 4-6 grams/Liter to 10-25 grams per liter with exposure times of up to 72 hours for the low concentration and 10-30 minutes for the high concentration. The salt used is always non-iodized salt. Table salt has a compound added to prevent it from caking up, and it should not be used. Preferred types of salt are: sea salt, freshwater aquarium salt, or Kosher salt. In a laboratory setting, concentrated forms of Holtfreter’s solution or Steinberg’s solution are often used.
If you have any questions about this feel free to PM me, and I will try to be of help.
I believe you should only use enough of the solution to cover him, but low enough for him to stick his head above water if need be. Good luck.

thanks he is in his bath but he dont like it keeps trying to escape

Attachments

• DSC03580.jpg
    DSC03580.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 848
I’ve gone through the salt solutions in treating salamander diseases article and it said about removing the fungus what dose that mean exactly?

now i think he has Bloat on top of a Fungal infection, what do you think?
his belly has grown in 1 day and he his not eatan and he seem to be floating around the tank not swimming.
how much can one little guy take.

Attachments

• DSC03585.jpg
    DSC03585.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 478
i dont think he has bloat now he seems better, but his tail is getting shorter and shorter each day.

Attachments

• DSC03588.jpg
    DSC03588.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 811
I’ve gone through the salt solutions in treating salamander diseases article and it said about removing the fungus what dose that mean exactly?
If you can gently use a q tip or cotton swab to rub loose the fungus that is on his tail, it should help with the recovery process. But it must be done gently, if you need to use force, don't because that could do more harm than good. Sometimes a gentle rubbing with the q tip will remove loose fungus.
He doesn't look to have bloat to me, in those pics. Had he just eaten before you took the pic where bloat was concerned?
In that last pic his tail looks awful. Poor little guy. How often are you doing his salt baths? I would recomend 2 maybe even three times a day until you see some improvement. Are you keeping him in the fridge between saltbaths?

I have removed the fungus it did not seem to hurt him. He is having two 10-15mins baths a day, no he is not in the fridge I don’t get how that works would he not suffocate. I have to go away to a funeral for two nights and there is no one to like after him, I’m very worried now.

All you need for the fride is a container with just enough water to cover him, shallow enough to stick his head above if he wants to. And something to cover it that will allow for air flow. If you are to be gone for two nights I think you could get away with leaving him in there while you are gone. It is recomended that you change the water 100% every day, due to the fact that such a small container fouls quickly. But if you cannot be there and your little guy has been having a tough time. I think you could get away with it if you be sure he has 100% fresh clean water before you go and be sure to change it 100% as soon as you return home. I would thing this is best because it will help him heal faster and help keep the fungus from getting worse. With you being away he will be missing his salt baths, so I think the fridge is a good option.

I have to leave tomorrow but I will give him a salt bath and some food first then put him in a container with fresh water in a regular fridge I will be back on wednesday and will change all of the water as soon as possible. This whole fridge thing scares me, are you sure he will be able to breath for that long?

I find it best to use a tupperware container and cut small holes in the lid for airflow. As stated above, only a little water is needed; no need to worry about suffocating.

Awww that sucks. Sorry to hear it, you tried your best so you can take comfort in that at least.

Do you put him in a refridgerator or something? if yes how long? Do you put him in the fridge during salt bath? My warty newt is having a fungal flesh eating disease on it's arm and i'm getting worried. Can the salt contain calcium silicate because I have sea salt in my house containing it. Sorry if i'm troubling you :p

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back