Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Lumps on face have burst

psychic

Reaction score
When i bought my first axolotl he had a couple of small lumps on his bottom lip. these didnt bother him at all.
But just recently he came out of his hiding place to eat and it looks like these lumps have burst, leaving him with 'holes' in his face, which look red around the edges. He shied away from his food and hasnt eaten since. i have separated him from the others in the tank.

what should i do now???????

deliriah

Reaction score
Pictures would help. It sounds to me like it must have been something he had when you got him. Can you give us any info on how he was kept before you bought him?

psychic

Reaction score
I bought him from a local aquatic shop, all i know is he was kept on large gravel which he was impacted with (passed just over a week later) and that he was fed on bloodworm, apart from that i dont know much.
Ive had him over a year and the lumps didnt really change until they one day burst.

Will try to put some pictures up but my phone wont connect properly to the computer.

psychic

Reaction score
Ive had him for about a year now. He was in a tank with a few others, and they aren't showing any signs of ill health,

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1