Injured Tail!

Blackman03

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a pet salamander that I have had in a tank for a little over a half a year. For most of that time I have had goldfish living in the tank and there didn't seem to be a problem (except occasionally she would eat them, but then again, that's what I had hoped for). Lately I have noticed that her tail has been getting smaller yet she hasn't changed colors like the other tiger salamanders I have seen first hand that went through the metamorphosis process.Last week I bought another fish from Walmart (not a goldfish) and put it in the tank with my salamander. Yesterday I noticed that my salamander's tail at the end had its bones exposed and looked like something had attacked it. I took out the new fish. Is there anything more I should do? Am I right to assume that it was the new fish that did this? Is there a reason the tail is getting smaller even though it does not look like it is ready to morph? Will the tail heal on its own?

I attached a few photos, two of the salamander and one of the fish that were in the tank with her (the black on the goldfish is a recent development that I am now looking into, info on that would also be helpful).

Any help would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• DSCN4718.jpg
    DSCN4718.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 357
  • DSCN4719.jpg
    DSCN4719.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 254
  • DSCN4721.jpg
    DSCN4721.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 234
Fish with your salamander is NOT a good idea, please keep them seperately from now on.
That said, it is very likely your new fish did this. I'm not sure but is that a gourami?
I believe they should be kept at a higher temp than either your goldfish or your salamander, but I could be wrong.
Fridging may help your salamander heal. It would be a good place to start. Also if it appears to show infection you may need to give him salt baths as well, someone with more experience may be able to help you decide if this is necessary.
Also what are the parameters in your tank? Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate?
I think your goldfish is also looking a bit rough, like fin and tail rot, or ich. You can buy treatments for that at the petstore, but please don't use that on your salamander!

I have to admit, I don't know much about this stuff, but yeah I think that is what it is. I just thought it looked cool and didn't really think about the affects of keeping that fish with my salamander. But it is no longer in the same tank and it will remain that way. I don't know what fridging is in relations to a salamander. Does that simply mean to lower the temperature? And no, as far as I know I have no ammonia, nitrite or nitrate in the water, just tap water and water safe. Are those things that I need to add?

She is kept in a ten gallon fish tank

Attachments

• DSCN4722.jpg
    DSCN4722.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 268
Keep the larval Tiger Salamander in good health and separate it from any other animal. How many tiger salamanders did you have in there? I agree with Deliriah, the gold fish didn't look so good. That means your water conditions aren't doing well and maybe thats why your Tiger Salamander is morphing plus the stress of being eaten. Use a water testing kit and figure out the problem and make sure you don't put the larval Tiger Salamander into fresh tap water or sterile water. Nitrite and nitrate should be 0 Ammonia should be 0 and Ph should be 7-8. Cycled water is best for sensitive skinned larvae. Try to keep the temperature 65 degrees or lower. If your not sure if its morphing or not just look at the eyes, if they're bulging out then its starting to morph.

Hey, thanks for all your help. I am looking into all those things right now. I'll keep you posted on how she is doing

I dont know if salt baths without signs of infection are necesarily a good thing. They have remarkable regeneration properties, caudates, and he'll grow his tail back in no time. Feed the salamander earthworms rather than fish, they wont bite :happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back