Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Marcellus Shale discussion

pete

Reaction score
In light of the recent oil spill disaster I was thinking of opening a thread on the Marcellus Shale development. In particular, because the Marcellus shale cuts right through the heart of prime caudate country.

For those of you unfamiliar with the Marcellus shale. Here is a website explaining what it is. (Marcellus Shale Gas: New Research Results Surprise Geologists!). In summary it is a large natural gas deposit that basically sits under large portions of NY, PA, OH, WV. It has been purported to make this region the Saudi Arabia of natural gas. There has been a recent push towards developing this resource. At this time in the US we see the need for energy independence, economic stimulus, and the dangers of continued oil exploration in off shore wells. These aspects make the Marcellus shale a tempting resource especially for this region that has been in economic decline since the 80s.

However, one major environmental problem exists from the extraction process. The biproduct is production of high salt water that can leech into fresh water sources and ruin precious habitat. Unlike oil spills, once the source has been polluted there are little chances of clean up. See a story here Sudden death of ecosystem ravages long creek. The effects can be quite devastating on the local amphibian populations.

The Marcellus coalition has more information about the project. Marcellus Shale Coalition I don't know much about the group though.

Personally I grew up in southwestern PA and I am very aware of the economics of the region, but I also have memories of my searches for caudates where I occasionally discovering mountain streams with orange water that were still polluted with runoff from earlier coal mines.

Given the oil industries recent and obvious overstatement of their own environmental hazards, I'm skeptical when I hear the Marcellus shale can be made 100% safe. However, since it is a resource that is still being developed and policy is still being shaped there seems to be room to come up with reasonable measures to balance environmental concerns with economic ones, and the opportunity exists for the people to be proactive vs. reactive as in the case of the recent oil spill.

So my purpose is to raise awareness and get others opinions. Maybe others have thought more about it and can highlight other risks and benefits.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't see this as off-topic. I see it as being relevant to the science topic.

pete

Reaction score
Feel free to move it if you wish. I wasn't sure where to stick it and thought it might get viewed more here and the oil spill thread got me thinking about it...

pete

Reaction score
Just to add. Apparently there is a recent film documentary on the topic (Gasland).

This is the trailer
YouTube - GASLAND Trailer 2010

I haven't seen it, but I'm looking into it. Some reviews suggest it has a strong negative slant, but I'm interested to see it since most of what I find online is positive concerning the drilling.

pete

Reaction score
One last post on the topic. I found an interview the the guy that did the documentary on PBS' NOW.

"Gasland" . NOW on PBS

At least he raises some interesting points and the interview is worth watching. I think you can find plenty of Pros on the web but this is one of the few guys spouting Cons.

Mac Myers

Reaction score
I am always skeptical of the "estimates" of Natural Gas and Oil that I read. Most seem to come from pro energy company sources (if not the companies themselves) and most make exaggerated (IMNHO) claims about how wonderful everything will be if we just let them develop/drill on the land in question.
Of course.. being from the gulf coast of Florida I admit to a tiny bit of bias right now.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1