Illness/Sickness: Axolotl Floating and Not Eating!! Please Help!!

winnie

Reaction score
Country
Australia
My female axolotl stoped eating around a week and a bit ago. I have also noticed she has been floating,..and can't seem to get back to the bottom. I have a male in the tank with her, and he is not floating. He went off his food for a little while, but seems to be eating a little at the moment. It's my female i'm really worried about. I've thought about fridging her? But am not familiar with this, and need help ASAP! Please. After a bit of research, i'm thinking she either has a bacterial infection in her stomach, or gas in her stomach, hence the floating and loss of interest in food.
The water temp is around 14-16, and an air stone is present in the tank.
Please, please, please help me, help her!!!!:(

HI
can you post your water parameters?
like PH, ammonia, nitrate, nitrite

what gravel do you have in the tank, if any?
and how big is the axolotl?

Re: Please! I need help!

what size is the tank? how big is she? what do you feed? what is your substrate?

Do you have any pictures of her and the st up

Re: Please! I need help!

Winnie, your posts have been merged together here. Please do not post the same question in multiple places.

This site has clear information about fridging:
Axolotl Sanctuary

Hey, thanks guys.
Okay, the water is around neutral, and sand is on the bottom of the tank. There are no filters, i change the water myself. There is an air stone ( bar). I feed them pellets and meal worms and have recently been trying to introduce blood worms and brine (both frozen)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back