Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Looking to obtain a newt, which one is right?

Niisan

Reaction score
Hi everybody! It's great to be here!

I have a 150 Gallon aquarium set up with about 10% land, its on a chiller and stays around 65-68 degrees, heavily planted, and the filter on it is awesome, it can handle almost anything (I used to have a turtle in it, but his claws and digging were to destructive for the plants, so he is now in a rocky style aquarium) The slots on the overflow are about a 1/4 inch wide, so the newt needs to be slightly larger, but I prefer for it not to be huge. I have some fish in the tank (darters - all 3-4 inches in length and all insectivorous and some shiners of various sizes - If they become snacks that fine for me) All the fish were wild-caught so I have treated them for parasites/diseases already, so that's not a worry.

Its a huge tank that's far understocked.

So long story short, what newt would do best in this set-up?
150 gallon
10% land (moss and logs mostly)
65-68 temperature
preferably mid-size to large, I worry about a small newt going down the drain!

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Pleurodeles waltl sounds like your best option.
I would take the filter out unless it makes very little current, and the fish are not the greatest idea, although they are not necessarily a problem ( i think those species are tolerable). You might want to consider re-homing them, though.

I would very much like to see a picture of such a huge tank (i sometimes dream about huge tanks, you know...xD).

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

iMash

Reaction score
Wow. I'd love to have the space or money for a tank that size. The possibilities are endless :eek:.

Sorry, I wouldn't really class myself as knowledgeable enough to advise you on species. But azheal knows his stuff :).

Also check out the caresheets. Thats what helped me decide on my Alpine newts.

Crysta

Reaction score
Yes a nice big newt like a Pleurodeles waltl/sharp-ribbed newt, would be happy there, they get to around 6-10"? (correct me if I'm wrong.) If you don't want a newt this big then the Italian Crested Newt (I don't know the scientific name) get about 6".

That sounds like a glorious tank, I think I may be drooling over it.
Is that a custom made tank? or did you buy it?

Niisan

Reaction score
Its just a standard 150 gallon(72ftx18ftx28in), I bought it used for $200, I built the stand,canopy and filtration system myself, as well as doing a rock background. As far as the filtration, I built it so there is a weak overall current in the tank, like a a sluggish creek or stream pool. I really like to under-crowd my tanks and load them with plants... This cuts down on maintenance alot!

After doing some research myself, both into what would fit well and what I can find locally (and afford), a Rough skin newt (T. granulosa) might be a good fit. Any opinions? Could I house more than one of these?

Thanks again!

Crysta

Reaction score
As far as size goes, I think they'd be a good candidate, and I believe they get along with each other (not that I can talk from experience), as with any species though before you decide completely, more research, and then some more, until you're all researched out. With this species, I'm thinking research to do with handling, and toxins, as it's rather infamous for being highly toxic. And I think they're about 8" adults.

That's an amazing price for a tank like that, used or not :) I'm pretty jealous.

Niisan

Reaction score
Hmmmm I hear what you're saying about the poison, while I'm not worried about getting poisoned myself (I'm used to washing hands after handling animals - turtles and their salmonella!) I do wonder if the poison would get into the water and kill anything else in the water? One of my friends has a firebelly newt (Cynops pyrrhogaster) in a 10 gallon with some guppies for over a year... No one has died mysteriously in there.

Anyone have any information about tetradoxin being released into the water?

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Tetradotoxin is only produced in significant amounts when the animal is either severely stressed (in pressence of a potential predator) or seriously wounded.
Newts don´t produce a lot of this toxin, they produce quite a small amount (but since it´s VERY toxic, it still accomplishes its function), i would imagine that being dissolved in the water renders it almost inocuous.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!