Plant life

rebeccaann

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
MonsterMonkey
What plants are best suited for a tank containing an axolotl? What do I need to look after them?

Last edited by a moderator:
Java Moss and Java Fern are the ones I use.

Those are some very good suggestions. I´d throw Elodea in, too.
Anubias is also a good choice.

I love java moss. It does well in the dim conditions preferred by the axolotls and requires little maintenance (nice and easy to care for). This plant is also highly durable against the destructive power of axolotls, lol. The java moss is the only plant which has survived the contemptuous flicks of my axolotl's tails, the indiscrimate gnashing of their snapping jaws, their plodding destructive steps, and their annoying habit of uprooting anything they come across ;).

Plants are living things. They require care (some are easier to care for than others). If the plants are thriving, they will help keep the water chemistry in check. If the plants are dying however, this rotting matter will wreak havoc with the water quality if not removed promptly (just like rotting food trapped under the substrate).

Is java moss readily available at pet shops?

I have java moss (which my axie uses as a couch, it's very funny), anubias, elodea and another one that is not really aquatic but has survived well so far...

I tied the moss to some stones with rubber band and "planted" the anubias to jars with gravel sand and rocks, the elodeas were promptly uprooted and now float freely in the tank, my axie sometimes "stands" on them and lays there at the surface... he really likes standing on plants

Is java moss readily available at pet shops?

I ignore the situation down under, but it should be. Another option is to contact some other local hobbyist, anyone one who has this plant is likely to have an excess sooner or later xD

Sorry for the slight hijack....
The people who use java moss, how do you have it in your tank? is it anchored to anything?
My gold ones always eat java moss and moss balls for some reason.

Mel

I use it both anchored to stuff and free floating. Both work well for me.

Is it just mine that eat it then?

Mel

Mel

Yes, Mel, I think you do have the only aspiring vegetarians out here. :D

I have both in all my tanks (the java moss from a generous member) and no one tries to eat it. I have the moss wrapped around the air hose in one tank and attached to artificial plants in others. The moss balls are often used as furniture by various members of the crew but no one's tried to "graze."

I'd try again if it has been a while. Maybe they were overzealous as juvies?

Strange!
It only seems to be the golds too. :confused:

Yeah i might try again see how they go.

Mel

A couple of my axolotls will take an occasional munch at the java moss. It's possible they may be mistaking the plant for a black worm mass (they're ever hopeful :D). You know how greedy an axolotl can get.

Mine will take a mouth full of moss, on accidental occasions, but I've always seen them spit it right out.

Another plant that should do well is water sprite or hornwort. Those are fairly un-killable and low-maintenance.

I went to one of the main pet shops in my town. They didn't have anything you guys have mentioned. They were all those rootless ones :( I had one of those but it just rotted :( Does anyone know if you can get java moss in Australia? and where I might be able to buy it?:p

Last edited by a moderator:
Ebay Australia! Try to stick to vendors in Australia only however, You can get it from other countries but it's often intercepted by customs. :happy:

Oh Yeah... I also use Pothos vines on the surface!

Last edited:
I'm going to try using the aquarium plant wall kits. Its basically two sheets of stiff plastic netting which you trap plants between and then attach in the aquarium. Can be used to cover walls or bent around objects. I intend to use it to cover the inbuilt filter in my tank (which I don't use, have a canister filter). This was glued into the tank when I bought it, Juwel aquarium. Got java moss in the post to use in the wall, can't wait to see how it turns out.
My tank already has 7 different types of plants, 1 floating, but I don't know what they are to be honest. They all seem to be coping with the constant 17 degrees and are stuck between rocks to stop the axies uprooting them. Bought from aquarium shops and are ok in cold water.

Edit:
The plants look like the following:
Cabomba Caroliniana Green Cabomba
Alternanthera Reineckii
unidentified Echinodorus, possibly amazon sword
Elodea Densa

Couldn't spot any similar ones to the rest.

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back