Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotls mixed with eel tailed catfish

Jaymee

Reaction score
Good or bad idea? Now i know most of you will think that it´s a stupid idea ...but hear me out. If i get one roughly about the same size as my axies it shouldn´t be too bad since the tank i´ve got is 6feet in length.:rolleyes: I know a lil about eel tailed catfish but not a great deal, if anyone could fill me in, it would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

callina

Reaction score
I had to take a look at wikipedia, because I didn´t know this species. Now I must say, that is a bad idea to keep axies and an eel-tailed catfish in the same tank.
The catfish may grow up to 50 cm and he eats small fishes - so he will eat your axies too.
He is a host for a number of parasites which are harmful for axies.

I think, your axies will be in a great danger when living with this fish in one tank.

deliriah

Reaction score
Please don't! There are all sorts of horror stories on axies and catfish. And the catfish will grow fast.

jclee

Reaction score
I agree with Tina and Deliria (though I read they grow to 90 cm.) I would also add that they would compete for food, since the cats are bottom feeders, and that the catfish seems to be a very active species, and the constant movement might stress the axolotls.

Jaymee

Reaction score
I figured it wouldn´t be a great idea i just wish there were more to add to my tank since it´s so big.:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

callina

Reaction score
your tank has a phantastic size for building a comfortable home for your axies with many hiding places, logs and live plants. Some feeder fishes like guppies and white cloud mountain minnows and cherry shrimps will make your tank an adventure for the axies. They will have much fun there. :D

Gavin Hunter

Reaction score
I would try aquascaping with cherry shrimp. Java fern and moss. Hygrophilia w/ driftwood.The cherry shrimp will live although they may not thrive in the lower temps the Axies like.That is my opinion,have fun. Push some different plants to the extreme of their perameters.There's a challenge! Gavin

Mac Myers

Reaction score
You might be able to find some "Ghost Shrimp/Glass Shrimp" (Paleomonetes) in your area too. They are fine at the temps axies enjoy. Around here I get them 12 for a dollar. Some get eaten... but the ones that survive are amazingly cool, savvy 4cm animals that berry up all of the time. Unfortunately their Progeny are not fully formed and the larva tend to get "filtered". I have some that have red spots, antenna and leg bands and tails. Some are not clear but are sort of a frosty white with white bands. They don't each much Algae like Cherry shrimp (I have some of those too)...but as Detritivores they help with food clean up. Mine have become adept at stealing blood worms and even earthworms right from the Axies mouths. Interesting animals. :happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!