HI Everyone! just want to introduce myself here

brewmaster15

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi Everyone,
My names Al, and I am new to this forum,though I have been a lurker awhile. Hats off to all the moderators here and staff that help out. :happy: I've really enjoyed reading here . Its a great community.

My background is Biology, and I am very involved in the tropical fish hobby. I also work with reptiles focusing on breeding Rat snakes and tortoises, and am an avid field biologist and natural history buff... I head out in the field with my camera for field herping as often as I can.

I have always had an interest in amphibians and have kept many...(Ambystoma maculatum) were my favorites and are a common one here in CT. I have current interests in breeding Axolotls and Tiger salamanders...

I guess the last thing I can tell you is I'm working on a new tank here...split a 125 gal into half terrestrial and half water.. still a work in progress.. Haven't decided yet what will go in there but I am leaning towards trying to set up a colony of another local species here ..eastern newt (Notophthalmus viridescens)

Looking forward to participating here.

thanks,
al

welcome good luck with the new tank newts are cool I cant have them here in Australia so i have an axolotl just wondering how you set up your half terrestrial tank I have been thinking about giving Hendrix(axolotl) a land portion in his tank and let him decide what he wants to do lol i know he probably wont change but you never know lol

Hey Thanks for the welcome!:happy:

Didn't realize you could not have Newts there in Aussie land. I've a real good friend there in tropical fish importing business and he runs a liscensed Quarantine facility.. Things are much more stringent there than here with regards to species importing. Still at least you can keep an axolotl.

I have about 2000 gals of water here dedicated to fish...one of my 125 gal tanks top rail broke and the trim cracked..It wasn't really a candidate to repair for fish...so I decided to use it for other critters... I stripped all the old silicon and resealed it but when I did that I bought 2 panes of 3/16" glass...These I contact adhered together to make a stronger pane of glass... I had them cut 6 " shorter than the tank height so that when I used them as a divider....they would leave me room at the top for the critters to go back and forth or water if I chose to use the tank as a split fish tank down the road. This divider I siliconed inplace and it also acts as a brace now to keep the tank from bowing.... Right now its just water one side with a large piece of driftwood and light sand....and the other side is gravel bases+sand+ canadian peat and some live sphagnum I have planted .......so still a work in progress. I'll post some photos as it developes.

Thanks again for the welcome.

-al

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back