Am I making a mistake?

tomkeogh

Reaction score
Country
England
Display Name
El Duque
Hello all, yesterday I brought myself a 6 inch melanoid, he looks physically healthy, ever so slightly underweight but no immediate problems.

However, he was on gravel at the pet shop it was quiet large but in length rather than diameter , I believe it could be injested but was certainly larger than 'normal' gravel.

On observing him last night and this morning I am fairly sure he does have some gravel inside him as he has to swim quiet frantically to reach the surface and crashes back down quickly.

My plan is to just observe him for a few days, if I don't see any evidence he is passing waste after a few days I will fridge him.

The reason I do not want to fridge him just yet is I am moving house in two weeks and I would like him to be settled before I move him again, I have also not seen any other physical symptoms of impaction, no bloat, no cloaca swelling, relaxed behaviour and he ate three big juicy worms last night.

As long as I see he is able to pass waste my plan is to leave him to pass the gravel him self, If anybody thinks I am being to relaxed about possible impaction and should fridge immediately let me know.

Sorry can not provide a pic but I assure you he looks physically fine and his set up is good, a 2 foot aquarium, fully cycled tank temp of 19 during day.

I think you are doing the right thing. You are watching to be sure it is not a problem, so I'm sure if it becomes a problem you will notice it and get him to the fridge. As long as he is eating and acting otherwise healthy, It seems you have your bases covered. Best of luck, I hope if he ate the gravel, he passes it on his own.

I have him in fridge now, this morning I found he had regurgitated all the worm he ate on Saturday and Sunday, this along with the hot weather made me think the fridge is the best place for him, his tank actually hit 24deg this afternoon so I am sure he is better in the fridge.

I just checked up on him and his gills are right back and he looks calm, I hope he will at least poo in the next few days, I am 90% certain he does have gravel belly and it will be cured in the fridge.

good luck with that Tom!

I hope he gets well soon

good luck tom.....please keep us updated on how things are going......

Well today when I went to change his water I could not believe how much waste he had passed, no gravel, but surprisingly bits of fish, he had no fish in his tank at the store so I assume they were feeding him frozen fish of some description, however since he has passed all that waste I have noticed just how skinny he is, so, I am going to get him in his tank, temp is 17-18 now, I am worried he cant survive in fridge very long with no food.

Again if it sounds like I am doing wrong tell me please.

Well, I was beginning to get worried as last night and tonight she refused food, I am glad however, as I have realised she is just a little shy to eat out of my hands, so, she has eaten an earthworm....fingers crossed she will digest the worms and not regurgitate.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back