Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Fungus

HMAxolotl

Reaction score
Ok my axolotls are fine, happy and healthy if i do say so myself :D but why do so many axolotls suffer with fungus and that... I hope that mine never suffer from it but is there anything that causes the fungus and how can i avoid this in the future since so many axolotls have this problem... Random i know but im just curious as to why :confused: Thanks for your time :happy:

melfly

Reaction score
Hi
Usually if they get a cut or wound they can develop fungus. And sometimes when the water and temps are not quite right.

Fungus is very nasty, can spread amazingly quickly and be life threatening but can be treated very quickly and efficiantly to with salt baths.

Mel

dragonlady

Reaction score
Fungus occurs as Mel as described or it can be accidentally introduced. One of the reasons it is important to quarantine any potential new tank mates as they could be carriers even though no symptoms are apparent. Fungus spores can also just be lurking around your tank despite your best efforts.

I've just had a couple of bouts with it myself but the key is to catch it early. So always have some aquarium salt on hand, just in case.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1