Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New Axie Owner

Underachiever

Reaction score
Hi, I got my axie's 4 days ago and ive read and heard sooooo much i am totally confused :/

Heres my set up
IMG_0952.jpg

They seem to like it, they can get in an under those rocks an behind the plants and they are happy eating out of that silver tray. They move around quite a bit, seem more inquisitive rather than stressed I hope. Obv they cold water but i have heard under 24C is still ok? im using iced water bottles to keep it cool but with the heat here atm it seems a constant 22, that sound ok?

Also I think from what ive read here they are a little thin? This is Godric from above (he's about 4 inches)
IMG_0950.jpg

And Eric, whos also 4 inches. Atm im feeding them on live blood worms, once or twice a day. Im going to try an get some live meal worms
IMG_0951.jpg

Also ive read about a curl in their tail means their stressed? what does this mean? cause obv their tails are flexible cause they swim with them.

One last thing I noticed yesterday sorry hehe

I didnt notice when I got them but Godric (black) has the tip of his tail missing. I cant tell if this is from the aquarium I got them from or if its fresh. Do I need to seperate them? Cause I only have one tank heh. Also Godrics left back leg seems to not do much? It kinda hangs near his body rahter than being more out from his body and after taking a closer look his toes seem kind of white. See photo below, thanks for all your help guys Im just really paranoid im not doing the right things. Thanks Penny x
IMG_09541.jpg

melfly

Reaction score
Hey
Congratulations on your axolotls!
I agree with Tom you need to rethink those stones, and the temp needs to be below 20
White toes on a dark axie is completely normal and a sign of possible sexual maturity.
The tail however looks a bit sore. A tea bath might help but i personally would leave it alone and just keep an eye on it in case it develops fungus.
It also looks pretty fresh to me so it may be a little bit of a nip from his tankmate.

Mel

Underachiever

Reaction score
Thanks guys :) What do you sugest instead of gravel? Stupid aquarium place selling it to me :/ Also I dont know what else to do about the temperature :/ Ive tried everything other than buying a cooling system which I cant afford...

Underachiever

Reaction score
The windows open but i'll have to try an get a fan.

It does sound like he has sores like in that article, but I didnt really understand how to treat him :/ Ive never had fish or aynthing, im used to more fluffy animals heh

melfly

Reaction score
After having a second look at the toes...i'm not sure.
Is it just on that one foot?

Mel

Underachiever

Reaction score
I think its just that foot, but he might have it a little on a toe on another foot :/

tomkeogh

Reaction score
Photos of Sick Axolotls

It just looks like one of the pictures here, that is what I am basing my opinion on no prior experience...Mel is more informed than I

Right now your main issues are the temp and gravel, I appreciate you are doing everything you can for the temp I am not having a go at you. but you should definitely remove the gravel immediately

Last edited:

melfly

Reaction score
Does it look cotton wooly?
Does it look like bone without the flesh on it?

Sorry for the questions.

Mel

Underachiever

Reaction score
That looks like the picture wheres he's been attacked by his tank mate... add that to his tail injury im thinking Eric's been nipping at him. Guessing i'll have to seperate them. will this be permanent? an whats the best way to do it?

Underachiever

Reaction score
Does it look cotton wooly?
Does it look like bone without the flesh on it?

Sorry for the questions.

Mel

Hehe dont worry bout all the questions, i really appreciate the help. I think it looks like bone :/ i think i can see kinda frayed flesh on it, a bit like his tail. Should I maybe put a seperator of some kind in the tank?

So I should get sand instead of gravel?

melfly

Reaction score
It could be a nip or a bit of a skin peel.
The tail has definately been nipped.

How big is your tank?
You could use a tank divider.
They tend to be most aggressive at feeding time, a lot can be accidental whilst hoovering up food.
You could try to feed them at seperate ends of the tank.

I have a gold who was a nipper when younger, she seems fine now with my other two.
Mel

tomkeogh

Reaction score
I just read through your first post again, It is not a great idea to get them meal worms, it is a much better idea to get them on earthworms, they are by far the best food, at 4 inches they should definitely be able to take chopped up worm, you can dig them from your garden if it is pesticide free, alternatively you can buy online, at some pet shops or a fishing bait shop.

Yes go with sand, you can use argos play sand it is cheap, but remove gravel NOW!!!

Do you know your readings for ammonia. nitrite and nitrate? Is the tank cycled?

Last edited:

Underachiever

Reaction score
The tank is about 2ft by 1ft by a ft an a half, i think its bout 40litres

I need to buy something to read the water, apparently my axie 'expert' left a lot of info out

If I take the gravel out now, will they be ok with nothing? or should I wait until I get some sand?

dragonlady

Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the world of axolotls! Mel and Tom have given some great advice so I will try not to repeat what they have recommended.

If you don't have necessary test kits Tom is referring to, please pick them up. You need to get the drop type tests for pH, ammonia, nitrite/nitrate. You can get all together in what is known as a Master Freshwater kit or you can pick them up separately at your local pet shop or you may be able to find them online cheaper.

tomkeogh

Reaction score
As they grow they will need a larger tank, that size will only be suitable for one adult sized axolotl, a larger tank will help a little with temperature, if you take the hood off the temperature will drop, just use a screen or mesh lid.

Are you using a de-chlorinater in your water? Caudata Culture Articles - Cycling have a read of that article, as your tank is new it will be cycling for the next 2-8 weeks, you will need to buy a water test kit like this one, Api Freshwater Master Test Kit - £ 19.9 - Test Kits - API - Chemist Direct there are cheaper options but that is the most accurate, you will have to take readings for ammonia and nitrite everyday and change some of the water depending on how high the readings are, you will also have to be diligent with cleaning poop and uneaten food quickly.

The idea of understanding a cycle is a bit worrying to some so ask any question you need to.

Edit:Sorry to repeat did not see your reply shannon.

melfly

Reaction score
Hi
Yeah bare bottomed is absolutely fine.
You can use play sand from argos which is 2.99 for 15kg.
You just need to rinse it a lot.

You will also need a bigger tank as they get bigger. They can grow to a foot long each so you will need a 3 foot tank.
I dont think a divider would work in a tank that size

Edit: i just posted at the same time Tom lol. Sorry for the repeat.
Mel

Underachiever

Reaction score
thanks so much for all ur help guys :) ive used de chlorinated water and apparently my dad has a ph testing kit for his pond so i can use that for now. i'll take the gravel out now and head over to argos tomorrow. I have a gravel cleaner to siphon with, im guessing that wont be much use with sand?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1