Can't reach bottom

nrmns14

Reaction score
Country
Scotland
Display Name
Sarah
When I woke up this morning axie was floating around and couldn't reach bottom. I removed him and put him in a small bowl with a very thin layer of water so he could reach bottom and gave him some food (bloodworms - all he's ever had) He is eating fine.
I noticed last night that his body seemed quite twisted which isn't usual. Haven't seen anything about this before.
Can anyone help?
My tank hasn't cycled yet by the way.

Since your tank isn't cycled what are the water parameters and what does the axolotl's substrate consist of?

The substrate is sand. The water parameters were 0-0.25 of ammonia and 0 nitrites and nitrates.

He's now floating on his side and blowing bubbles. He always seems to be doing a lot of poos.
Can anyone help me? :(

It was about 19 degrees when he started floating

:( i hope charlie will be ok :(... I dont know obviously but can you get a picture of what he is actually doing... Maybe this might help does he look ok apart from his behaviour .... Hope he makes a miraculous recovery over night... :eek:

Thanks Hayley I hope he will too :) I can't really get a photo anymore because I moved him out his tank and into a smaller bowl so I could lower the water level.
All that's different is he's floating on his side and letting out bubbles and loads of poos which he doesn't normally do.
I don't know what else to do so I hope he will be ok :(
Seen your new photos by the way. Your axies look lovely! They've definitely grown :D

Thanks it was like they was posing for me :D... But i just wish i could help out you and charlie... When we have talked it seems like your doing everything right, i wonder whats wrong with him... Just go through everything that you have done anything new in the tank or anything like that... I have no idea, wish i did!!! Just think of any possiblities where you could have upset something in the tank... All that i can suggest really, hopfully someone who can help you out will come to your rescue and he will be fine... :happy:

Last edited:
I know I thought I was doing so well :( I know I changed from stress coat dechlorinator to tetra - would that make any difference? That's the only thing to change though. I don't know whether if I should be feeding him just now either. If he's bloated then surely that won't help...? :confused:
Can anyone help me I'm getting really worried now?

If he's not in the fridge it may help.

Mel

I didn't want to put him in the fridge as I thought this might result in a reduced metabolism and he is still eating just now?

Not sure i he should be eating or not as im no expert but i just wanted to know if he looks any better or not...? :eek:

I'm not sure if he looks any better. He' still eating though which I'm sure is a good thing. I'm hoping he'll be back to normal in the next few days. I will keep you updated

Here's some pics. Didn't work very well especially when I try to zoom in and don't want to use flash. He's in a very shallow bowl just now with an ice bottle over the top to lower the temp to about 15 degrees.
Should I feed him? He's still eating nicely and still blowing lots of bubbles

Attachments

• DSC02381.jpg
    DSC02381.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 171
  • DSC02382.jpg
    DSC02382.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 148
I also think a bit might have fallen off of him. It seemed like something fell off when I moved him to do a water change. It kind of looked like a tail but nothing seems to be missing from him...

Here are some better photos in natural light.

Attachments

• DSC02383.jpg
    DSC02383.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 158
  • DSC02384.jpg
    DSC02384.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 163
In the very 1st photo his back looks bent. Does he look like this or was he mid swim?

Mel

That was mid swim. He usually looks like the last two photos I put up. Anything else that could be causing this? His stomach is a bit weird colour? I think it's sand? He isn't on sand anymore but could this have caused an infection or something?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back