Question: Fat, sick, or full of eggs?

harliquinnraver

Reaction score
Country
United States
My 2 girls are both a little more than a year old. theyve always been a bit big but after recently acquiring a couple of GFP axies (a friend was moving and couldnt take them), i noticed just how large my girls were.

do they appear to be fat? or full of eggs maybe? or does this look like some kind of illness? i feed them every other day usually. either axolotl pellets or earthworms.
i might just be overreacting but i just want to be sure that theyre alright.

excuse the cloudy water please. the sand substrate is new and makes the water a bit cloudy until it settles.

100_5448.jpg
100_5445.jpg

I'm no expert in the whole breeding area but they do look on the big side. How much do you feed them exactly?

I'm guessing the GFP axies are male? Have you noticed any spermatophores in the tank?

I'm no expert in the whole breeding area but they do look on the big side. How much do you feed them exactly?

I'm guessing the GFP axies are male? Have you noticed any spermatophores in the tank?

the gals get a fair sized pinch of large pellets or 1-2 earthworms each every couple of days. am i overfeeding them?
i was told the GFPs were males. im not 100% sure though. they are new (and are fresh out of quarantine). no spermatophores seen yet.

Well males have big bulges on them basically and females not so much. Try not feeding them so much, once very two days, pellets can make them pretty fat too so just stick with the earthworms for now and see if they loose any weight. Also look for any jelly like stuff in the tank, one of the girls could have taken a spermatophore top already.

They look fat to me. Ad the back legs are chubby too.
As said before cut down the food.
Adults only need to be fed once or twice a week.

If they still look big after a bit of dieting let us know!

Mel

ah! once or twice a week? yeah, im definitely overfeeding! thanks guys! ill stick to earthworms for a bit and skip pellets for a while and see how they do.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back