Hello all

Lorcan

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
After much time lurking around here I thought id say hello. I got my Axolotl, Gringo, roughly 12 months ago. It was sold to me at the time as something to go into my goldfish tank. It only took a few days to realise the guy in my lfs didnt really know what he was talking about. I have since gotten rid of the goldfish and Gringo is in his own tank now.

I find these fascinating creatures. He has the most personality of all of my fish and I am now looking to experiment with breeding axolotls. I suppose what Im looking for is anyone from Ireland, specifically Dublin, that has a sexually mature female and would be interested in lending her to me.

heres a photo of Gringo, il get a photo of his tank up here soon but hes in a 24x12x12 tank with sand substrate, bog wood,anubis,java moss and some marimo moss balls (these are lije his excercise balls!)

32262_450154519125_553314125_6084430_5698465_n.jpg

Id love to hear from people about the above but also if anyone has any questions i could answer or advice to give me id welcome that.

Talk soon

Lorcan

Hello and welcome!

Gringo is gorgeous.
Well done on a great set up for him.

You will probably need to get a permanent female as i dont think they will breed on command. You could get lucky i suppose, but they tend to breed at certain times of the year etc.
If you do get him a wife you'll need to upgrade your tank to a 3 foot.

Good luck! And keep the pictures coming!
Mel

Tank looks great. Mel's right in that if he gets married he'll need a bigger place.
At this stage in his life I would imagine all he wants is for you to drop a female in there (preferably a different one) every night and then kick her out...uh.. I mean remove her in the morning. Maybe after she tidies up a bit and does his laundry and dishes. He's a young, freewheeling guy and if one of the ladies lays eggs later he doesn't wanna be anywhere around or even know about it. Maybe you can put a sticker with a fake name on the front of the tank to make it harder for her to find him later. He won't call her. He doesn't want to support some broad and her kids. If you insist on getting a permanent female then he'll just want her to be quiet, do as she is told.... and he'll wants to eat the kids if he has to see them at all.
If it turns out that Gringo is a female then don't let any males near the tank until she's 32 years old. :D

I take it you know this from experience Mr Myers?

haha,maybe hes taking after his owner ;)

Oh for CRYIN'OUT-LOUD! You just made me wake up my boys laughing so loud!!! :D:D:D Quite the character, that Mac Myers! :p

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back