Blind, no gills, and kept with other fish. HELP

sam1014

Reaction score
Country
England
Display Name
Sam
Basically, im new to all this. I'd never even heard of axolotls until i went to an Aquatics in B'ham and seen them and immediantly wanted one. I asked the guy if i could have one and explained what other fish i had in my tank. He said i was fine to have it as it isn´t aggressive so won´t attack my fish. I instantly bought it and was very happy. He seemed to settle in well and had no real problems with my other fish. It was only when i went on internet the next day and done research that i realised they´re meant to be kept on their own! I also noticed that he kept swimming into things. I spoke to someone at another place and explained i´ve got him with other fish, he was shocked i still had fish alive and asked what colour eyes hes got, black or red? i said 'erm....he´s got white eyes' then the guy said no wonder he hasn´t killed all your fish, he's blind!!!!
so..., I've been sold a blind axolotl and I've got him with other fish.

next.....

A few days after i had him, i noticed that all his external gills have gone!! he´s only got little stumps now. The guy said, the other fish may have nipped them, but i don´t believe this as the other fish don´t really go by him.

Can anyone give me any advice???

I can´t put him in a separate tank as i´ve got nowhere to put it and can´t really afford one, and I don´t wanna get rid of him cause i´ve grown quite attached to him and love watchin him.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am sorry that you have been so miss informed about how to care for your axolotl.

Basically he needs to be separated from the fish as soon as possible. Most fish will be attracted to those lovely gills ( if you look they do look like lots of little worms) . I appreciate you are unable to buy a new tank, but how about one of those big plastic crates? or look on your local Freecycle.
Have a look at the site linked below :-

Axolotls: The Fascinating Mexican Axolotl and the Tiger Salamander

Please ask any further questions, but ultimately, if you feel you really can't house him correctly, please re-home him..it would be kinder for your axolotl.

I understand :(
What tank size would you recommend? And what stuff would i need with it?? Does it still need heater, light, pump/filter etc??

Have a read of the link I gave you..it will tell you all you need to know.

Basically, as long as you only have one axolotl you could get away with a 90cm long tank, a filter and sand. A hide..they love plastic pipes..like the ones that carry the water down from roof gutters. Plants are great too..be it real or plastic. Axolotl must not be in too warm water....over 20 degrees will prove fatal. A heater will definitely not be needed ...please tell me he hasn't got one in the current tank?:eek:

OMG i feel soooo bad now!!!!! yes, it has a heater and it´s been about 24degrees!!!! :s :s
He hasn´t being acting strange though, he sits and walks along the bottom, he eats when i drop the food right in front of him, and he ocasionally swims to the top and takes a gulp of air.
He looks fine, apart from his missing gills.

I feel like such a bad owner now. won´t be able to get another tank till the weekend cause i work during the week.

Thank goodness you found this forum! Unfortunately many pet shops are notorious for giving poor information.
May I suggest this, as you are unable to get a new tank/ plastic crate until the weekend, that you fridge your axolotl as soon as you can. It may sound crazy, but it will help enormously while you get its new home set up...have a look at the link below..it will explain all.

Axolotl Sanctuary

You should probably take the animal out of the tank and fridge him in a smaller container until the weekend. He can't stay like that until next weekend. :eek:

Julia is correct as always....

Last edited:
OMG fridge???? I have to physically put him in the fridge??? I didn´t think they could take temperature drops like that. I'll read the link now,
Thanks for all this help by the way everyone. Very much appreciated!!!!!

Right i've read the artical about fridging. i just have a few questions.

1) Does the lid have to be sealed on the container?? just worried about oxygen.
2) How often do i feed him? i feed him frozen bloodworm, so how many per day will he need?
3) Whats the easiest way to change the water? I want to cause as less stress as possible.

i must admit i'm very worried about doin this, as he is coming from a very warm tank and im worried aboutt the sevre temperature change. i still cant believe im gonna put him in the fridge!!!! lol.

He's been in my tank over 3 weeks now and doesn´t seem to be having any problems apart from the missing gills.
I trust you guys though, afterall, i'm the novice.....which is very VERY obvious!!!! haha.

yeah man, just get him out that tank.

You say he's doing fine for 3 weeks but you don't know how much stress he may be under.

Don't worry all is not lost, he isn't acting ill so you "should" be ok. You just need to get him cold and he'll destress.

1) Does the lid have to be sealed on the container?? just worried about oxygen.

Keep the lid secured, or slightly off and secured with an elastic band, you don;t want him eating your cheese (jk)

2) How often do i feed him? i feed him frozen bloodworm, so how many per day will he need?

I think the usual recovery meal recommended is one new earthworm each day, added after you do a 100% water change. (dechlorinate that water first) and have it at the same temp as existing water i.e. store water in the fridge for the next day or have another container ready for day two. Just make sure that he gets a fresh worm each day, he may not even eat it, but at least it's there for him (cut it up too).

3) Whats the easiest way to change the water? I want to cause as less stress as possible.

Keep two containers and just carefully move him into the second as you wash and refill the other ready for tomorrow.

thats great, thankyou for all that info.
ive never fed him earthworm before, will shops like Pets at home sell that??? are they live?? (yuk)

when first putting him in the fridge, i presume i put him in normal dechlorinated water, and then put him in the fridge, rather than putting him straight in freezing water out the fridge. is this correct??

yeah that sounds like a good plan, his temp will come down gradually then.

Then you replace with water of equal temperature.

As for earthworms I find it hard to buy them.

However go out in your garden and throw down some hot water with washing up liquid in it, wait 5 mins, they'll come to the surface.

I'm sure bloodworms will be fine, it's just on these forums EWs are viewed as the Manuka Honey of the Axie diet.

sorry im asking loads of questions, just dont wanna make any more mistakes :( (

ok, i'll try gettin worms out the garden, if that doesnt work, i'll give him a cube of bloodworms.

He might not be blind.
I have albinos and their eyes dont look particularly red, i think they are white. And they can all see.
One bashes her head a lot but thats just an axie thing. She always manages to see my hand ok when its in there.

The lack of gills will be the temperature and/or the fish. And probably the tank parameters do you know what they currently are? Ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.
The gills are very important. Hopefully they will grow back.

Everyone else has alredy given brill advice.

Good luck!
Mel

You can but worm's at any fishing tackle shops, I am sure there will be one near you, alternatively you can get some at Worms Direct UK - worms for fishing, fishing bait, worms for bait, Dendrobaena for fishing, fishing bait wholesalers

You have been given great advice, try not to panic it must be quiet daunting taking this all in your little fella will be fine in the fridge, do not be surprised if he does not eat when in the fridge he will be okay.

when I am changing to a new fridge tub I scoop my axie up with a pint glass, I prefer that than using a net or handling.

Good luck, I hope he is fine

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back