Newbie and Wannabe Paddle Tail Owner!!

Grimlock

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I'm totally new to the world of Newts and Salamanders but I'm already sucked in. Im trying to find as much reliable information about Paddle Tails as I can on the internet but not sure what i can really trust. Any paddle tail experts out there or anyone with good references on books? I wanna make an awesome habitat for this guy...like all out go big or go home on detail. Just not sure where to find good information. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
----Justin

Howdy :) welcome to the forum :) I have 2 paddletails :) xxxxxxxx

Welcome to the forum!

Nathan has already provided you with the caresheet and all i can add is that there´s also a lot of information around the forum.

I would like to comment on something, feel free to ignore it or to take the advice.
Paddletails (Pachytriton sp.) that are available in the market are ALL wild-caught in China. The process can take as long as a month, and the conditions are very neglectful. Those who survive, have then to survive the pet-shops, which as a general rule fail to provide the necesary conditions. By the time they get to a home, they are very stressed, some are injured or ill and some are just too damaged and die shortly. If you have little or no experience with newts, having to deal with what may be an ill animal can be a true ordeal. If you are lucky, there won´t be any problems, but you might not be...
Additionally, given the current, global situation of amphibians, some of us think that promoting the wild-caught market is just not right.
There are a lot of adequate species, commonly available as captive-bred that will make your start in the caudate world a much easier and carefree one.
That´s my advice, do with it what you please :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back