Is my axie set up and equipment ok?

allieambush

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Allie
I've had my axie for about 4 months now and I just want to make sure that I have his tank set up ok. He is in a 15 gallon tank with large rocks on the bottom. I have a box filter I think it is called? Its a plastic box with filter carbon on the bottom and filter fluff stuff on top. I use distilled wate for his weekly water changes. Sometimes if neccessary I use tap water and add a dechlorinator specifically used for tap water. I check the pH in his water when I do his weekly 20% water change. It is usually around 7.2. The temperature of his water is a little warm around 70 degrees fahrenheit. When it gets too hot I put a frozen water bottle in there to cool it down for him. Please let me know if I am doing everything properly. I have a photo of his tank set up in my album.

All sounds good. The distilled water is probably more trouble and expense than it is worth. If you do use bottled water, I would recommend spring water rather than distilled. But dechlorinated tap water is probably just fine. The problem with distilled water is that it has no minerals or ions in it, and this could be somewhat stressful.
Caudata Culture Articles - Bottled Water for Amphibians

i had a look at your little man and he is very cute..........your tank looks good, the only thing i couldnt see was a hide for him(i did see the bridge tho).....im sorry if you have one in there i cant see for looking sometimes......

All he has right now to hide under is a big fake log. Should I have something else for him to hide in?

Thanks for the tip on the spring water and the link! I will go buy some for him today.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back