I've inherited an Axolotl

mel

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi,
My name is Mel from Melbourne, Australia.
After much begging my 11 YO son obtained a black Axolotl.
2 years later we still have Hikaru, Son however has long lost interest.:rolleyes:

Soooo, Mum, (me) have taken over the wee beastie.
I am quite fond of her but know little about their needs.

Still she seems healthy.

I recently moved her from the gloom of my sons lair, into the sun room and she's sharing her tank with a large red commet.
I have put a glass divider in the tank, so the commet cant mistake Hikaru's frilly bits (lungs?) for fish food.
tn_P7200590.JPG

Hikaru has never seemed so animated and happy, she's swimming around, biting the bubbles from the filter/airiator, swimming to the top of the glass slope and sliding down again on her belly, she seems to be having a ball:D

The fish seems cool with the arrangement too:D
Is their any reason why I shouldnt do this?

parasites would be one reason not to have fish in same tank Im sure there are others but scince there seperate it will stop the fish from eating there gills so the risk is up to you

parasites would be one reason not to have fish in same tank Im sure there are others but scince there separate it will stop the fish from eating there gills so the risk is up to you

What sort of parasites?
I've had the fish 8 years or so and he's very healthy
Don't Axolotls share with fish in the wild? as well as having small pebbles to deal with.

Your average axolotl would be a parent to hundreds/thousands of young in its lifetime, and in an evolutionary sense, in the wild, if only a handfull survive to sexual maturity and breed, then its a success. Many will die due to compaction...an obstruction in their digestive tract, such as gravel, and many will not be 'on the best of terms' with their co-habitants in the wild......hence the large amount of 'potential' axolotls from a breeding pair.

Keeping axolotls in captivity is always be about keeping them happy and healthy, as you know.....but as a guideline, no gravel and single species is the way to go.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back