Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Starting to Float at the back??

axokyle

Reaction score
In addition to my introduction thread about my axolotls gills been curled forwards,I have noticed the white albino is starting to float up at its rear, On its tail and back legs are up the fronts are still on the tank bottom.

I havnt noticed them going upto the surface very often?

Anyone advice? Shall i take it out and keep it in a smaller tub for abit?

daremo

Reaction score
mine used to do that a lot when younger... when he was about 12-13 cm

how big is the axie?

melfly

Reaction score
Hey Kyle

Are both of them showing forward gills?
Can you see if their tails are kinked right on the end?

I wouldn't worry about the albino floating, for some reason the babies are always at it lol!

Mel

axokyle

Reaction score
Hi mel, Yes both have forward gills but straight tails, The wild are abit more straight than the albinos thought but still forwards.

Oh ok aslong as thats normal :)

BethanyKate

Reaction score
I have heard that an axolotl can float a little at the back if the water gets cold. Bot sure how true that is but its just a thought, i also heard it could be a lack of oxygen in the water. Not too sure about that one though. My axolotl was floating at the back yesterday and then he swam to the surface and blew a huge bubble and make like a yawning burping noise. Is there a chance he may have swallowed a little bit of air?. Floating can be stress related too apparently. Hope he's all okay

daniellog

Reaction score
They are ok for now I think, just the stress from being moved (He's my friend so I talk to him off the forum).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1