Question: Advice please

MunchBunny

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First of all can i make you all aware this is my partners account and that she made a post yesterday about her axo Munchkin and his tank problems. Im making a post on this account because i cant remember the pass to mine and the pass reset function seems to be broken.

Munchkin was only about 4 inches long when we got him, he went into a 190 litre cube tank which dwarfed him and he wouldnt eat and we decided he would like something a little more cosy for him and we got him a 60 litre rectangle tank which he was right at home and eating less than 12 hours later.

The main problem is munchkin is now a good 8 or 9 inches long from the tip of his tail to his head. Dont get me wrong he has room to turn around but i cant help but feel he would be more at home and comfortable in something abit bigger now. And on top of that the tank is getting awefully warm sometimes peaking at 28 degrees, now we have curved that and it seems to be at a steady 20ish but ideally i would like it lower, after keeping fish for many years i have learned that the bigger the water volume the easier to control it. I had a 450 litre aquarium with over 2 thousand pound put into it in live stock and accessories and the temperature never ever once fluctuated.

I suggested a cold water pond. Allowing minimum cost per litre upgrade as i can get a preformed pont 400 litres for 90 pounds, alot cheaper than my 800 pound 450 litre aquarium. Not an old one but starting from scratch and some obvious questions were brought up,

-Predators.
-Other amphibians
-pathogens.
- Not being able to see him.

As for predators the pond would be deep enough so that no cat could paw at him, im looking at 2 foot depth minimum and with her axo sticking to the bottom like glue he would be safe there except maybe from a herron, but we live in the middle of the city with a relatively small yard and its easy to deter herrons as iv had koi ponds before.

As said above the yard is small only about 6meters squared at most as we have a large shed which fills the other half. the yard is surrounded by a 9 foot wall and has a locking door with no gaps. I cannot imagine other amphibians gaining access at all.

As for pathogens i can quite easily test/treat the water. I have kept cold water and tropical fish for years so i know all the basics i/e fungus and whitespot etc but im new to axo's so are there other pathogens i should be keeping an eye out for.

And not being able to see him. I can get Clear preformed ponds made up. and the plan was to not sink it but leave it raised, box off the sides and leave a clear viewing panel at the front for easy viewing of munchkin.

If all else fails i have a 200 litre aquarium in the shed that simply needs tested for water tightness but it doesnt have a hood and im abit funny about hoodless aquariums hence it not being used. We have cats so im worried for cat hairs and dust and also them being able to paw at him with the tank only being 18 inches in depth.

Could you please give me your thoughts on this as im trying to do the best possible for my lovely partners prize pet =)

Kind Regards

Sorry, I have no advice on the pond at all. But, presuming the 200litre is water tight a simple mesh or screen lid would be great.

Hiya
The problem is that you may not know whats in there. There could be 'bad stuff' (lol how technical)
I dont believe it would be easy to test for. And treatments for fish can be very harmful for axolotls.

With the plan for it being raised...I would think that this could make the water temp higher.

All in all it doesn't sound like the worst idea in the world.

I personally would go for the big tank you could, as tom says, get a simple lid for it.

Mel

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back