Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Lighting ?

lorraine

Reaction score
I was just wondering what lighting people use for their Axy tanks? I know the lights that come are too bright and whilst looking through peoples pictures of their setups, some have really nice lighting.

carriw

Reaction score
Hi there
I was looking into this a few weeks ago - a few of us have started using moonlight lamps (blue). Only problem is if you have a leucistic then their gills look green instead of red!
I changed to moonlight because my tropical lamp was throwing out a lot of heat, I THINK the moonlight one is cooler.
Carri

dazkeirle

Reaction score
I use moonlight as it is a little easier on their eyes it would seem, also mimics night time which they generally prefer.

I use moonlight LED strips, they still give a nice balanced glow but produce no heat whatsoever.

On ebay you can get a strip of 9 for about 7 quid!

lorraine

Reaction score
Thank you for your replies do you both have pics of your tanks so I can see the lights please. Sorry to be a pain. :eek:

Last edited:

ghogg

Reaction score
I just have the lights that came with my tank, a day and a warm bulb. They are on for 12 hours a day and with some floating plants to provide some shadows the axies seem fine. The plants are really thriving thats for sure!

JWERNER

Reaction score
You can rig up a dimmer. You could also use soft white LEDs rigged to a dimmer to get a natural coloration while viewing.

I always used suprebrightleds.com for LEDs cause they have strips and pods that come prewired. Just mount them to the light fixture or canopy.

dazkeirle

Reaction score
you just have to bare in mind they don't have eyelids and are nocturnal so really bright lights may be a bit too much for them and you should give em enough shelter to get out of it to sleep, but then you knew that :)

Mac Myers

Reaction score
I've just orders a couple of kinds of Blue LED "bulbs" with a standard E27 socket as I'm nursing a beat up Axolotl back to health.
After that I think I'm going to get some LED T8 lights to go into my hoods on the big tank. They generate too much heat. :happy:

Anubis

Reaction score
What about daylight or overhead room light? Would that be fine or too dim for them? Do they need to have a consistent amount of light? If so, for how long? I most certainly won't be putting them in direct sunlight, but I also don't want to stress them out.

lorraine

Reaction score
Thank you, he does have shelter from the lights and floating plants to help block some of the light, just was not sure that was enough for him.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1