Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What to do with Norbert

sunnyd1277

Reaction score
My beautiful axo has been living on the fridge for the past few weeks because of the temperature around here. I change his water every day and feed him every third day. He has been doinf just fine. BUT, I am leaving on a buisness trip for three days in about two weeks, coming back for four days then leaving again for almost a week and I wont be able to change his water daily. It is slightly cooler now, but I am still letting his tank fully cycle ( I dont think it was before).

Any ideas on what I can do for his while im gone?

Also, Im still looking for a chiller for a 40 gal tank

Thanks,
Michael

sunnyd1277

Reaction score
So, the best I can come up with is to leave him in a larger tank in the fridge for the three days at a time, since ammo is less toxic at lower temps.

Any help would be great

bunny27

Reaction score
I've had my axolotls in the fridge for almost 3 months now because of the high temperatures around here. I tend to feed them less, like once a week so they don't go to the bathroom as often. My bigger axolotl goes to the bathroom maybe 4-5 days or even longer after eating his big meal, but this could be different for other axies. Maybe if you feed him less before you leave and put him in a larger tank in the fridge?

That's just what I would do, but hopefully someone with more experience can say something. (^_^). Good luck!

scrappa

Reaction score
If you have a cellar or basement or something along those lines it will be colder there so maybe you can move him there until the temperature lets up.

Another solution is to ask a friend to change your axies water every day. If you get 3 tubs in the fridge full of de-chylorinated water your friend can come in every day and just put him from one tub to another.

Also what temperature is it exactly?

And can you test your tank for ammonia ect to see if its cycled and if it is cycled now you can put him in there and ask a friend to put salt-water ice bottles in every day.

I would wait and see if someone else has any ideas.

Last edited:

sunnyd1277

Reaction score
thank you so much for the help! I live in an apartment so the cellar is no existent lol, but the fridge is kept at 13C right now and he seems happy. I think I may be able to convince a friend to help me out.

Any good ideas on easy methods of transfering? I usually put a tupperware thing on there and coax him in with a chopstick. But it can take a while

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!