Endoparasites, need doses!

Fer

Reaction score
Country
Argentina
Display Name
Fenrhir
I have seen feces of my t. marmoratus (terrestrial phase) with small white worm, i think they are endoparasites. I have bouth Fenbendazol but i really don't know a good dosis and how to give it (oral or by skin absorbtion like electrolitic solutions) please if anyone nows tell me, they are 10 cm right now.

Re: Endoparasites, need dosis!

Was the feces fresh (you saw it come out of the animal)? Or did you find the feces in the tank, together with a worm? I think it is very possible that the worm is part of the micro-fauna of your aquarium, and maybe it didn't come out of the animal.

Another thought - do these white 'worms' move or do these objects just look like worms? If you are feeding crickets there is a good chance that what you may be seeing is cricket eggs. Cricket eggs appear worm-like and can pass through the Gi tract intact. They are white to cream color and less than 1/8 inch in length and less than 1/32 inch in width - they cause no harm. Google - 'pictures of cricket eggs' to see it this might be what you have before trying drugs.

thanks, i first think they didn't came out of the animal, as you think jennewt, cause the feces were layed 2 days before. and they were worms with movement, i have seen cricket eggs in my xenopus feces and i don't worry :)

I have read that caudates nematodes only can be seen with a microoscope, so i hope they aren't parasites, but i'll see in the next few days.

here is a picture taken the same day i found it.
dsc06375z.jpg

i have desinfected the set up and change all the substrate (sphagnum moss) hope they are only microfauna and not parasites, because i take every possible care with my babies. What do you think of with the picture?

heree is :D (i think)

Attachments

• DSC06375.jpg
    DSC06375.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 1,529

I would bet that these are soil worms, such as Enchytraeus. Thank you for the photo. I do not think you should rush into treating the newt!

If you want to be sure, you need to collect a fresh sample of feces. To do this, you put the newt into a secure container with wet paper towels only and wait for a fresh sample. Ideally, this should be examined by microscope (or by a vet). Note that it is normal for newts to pass some non-parasitic Nematode worms, as these are often in their diet and pass through alive.

thanks for the help boys, i 'll slep well tonight, i was worried about them:( but i'll see in a microoscope fresh samples, to be secure :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back