Axolotl not eating

Gilly

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hey
I am a first time owner of axolotles, i have 2 a male and a female. The female will eat anything and everything but the male has stopped eating and if it does on the rare occasion only minimal food. I have tried all different types of food as of the recommendations of the pet store pelets, feeder fish, blood worms, turtle food and the male will not eat any of them but the female will eat any of them i have also tried veal but neither of them ate that. The tank stays between 15-21 degrees all the time, it has a air filter, large pebles so they cannot suck them up, pbc pipe for them to hide in, and real and fake plants. The male who is not eating has got a cut on one of its legs we think that the female thought it was food one day, this was about a week and a half ago and have been keeping a close eye on it and it seems to be getting better, he was also not so active after that happened but now seems to be getting better.

Was just wondering what we should do?

The pet store just said to keep an eye on him and if it gets bad i will take him in to them and they will look after him to see what is wrong.

Any other information that you would need to no?

thanks heaps :)

Re: Axolotl won't eat!

Oh and also they are both about 20 cm long but the male (sick one) is skinny whilst the female is a big healthy looking fish :)

Earthworms are the staple diet of axolotls.....try them and I bet they'll love 'em!
You can get them from your (pesti/herbicide-free) garden, online, pet shops/bait shops.

You might want to keep the temperature below 21, think of 19 being the comfortable max temp. Thers loads of threadss on this forum about cooling.

The main thing is that you need to know the condition of your water. Test kits are available to cover ammonia,nitrate,nitrite,pH, etc and are considered a necessity, ( I use the API freshwater kit, £25-ish) but will last you ages. If you post the results of the tests, then the forum members can offer a more accurate answer.

Hope this helps ;)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back