Overwhelmed by Axolotls

P

PennyJoy

Hi,
I'm brand new to axolotl keeping/breeding and only became involved when my son received two axolotls for his birthday. (he's 8 so I'm sort of in charge of learning what to do.)
Within two days of owning Licorice and Caramel the plastic plants inside the tank were covered with eggs and I was scouring axolotl web sites for help. We are all rather facinated by these incredible animals but also rather daunted by now having perhaps 50 + babies.
Have been so glad to find a forum like this with people so willling to share their knowledge of these amazing creatures.

Penny.

Hi im Helen I have babies as well its great fun like being a parent again lol mine are nearly 2 weeks old have eyes and gills should get legs in 2 more weeks If they surive im feeding them shrip brine so far so good How are yours going and can I help you or me goodluck :)

Hi, thanks for your welcome.
Yes, I could do with some help. I'm really struggling with the brine shrimp hatching. Have tried three batches and Í don't think any of them have worked (though I really don't know what I'm looking for.) Where do you get your live food from?
Penny

i saw live brine shrimp being sold at pet city..........do you have one near you.......im in brisbane and the store is in Mt Gravatt.....have you seen the hatchery DVD on the other thread????? by the way welcome to the forum......

I haven't tried Pet Barn yet. I think I'm going to have to broaden my search. So far the babies are still alive, I'm not sure what on though. The poor things. They are a variety of lengths, and some faster/stronger swimmers than others.

Licourice, as you can probably guess, is a dark, almost black wild type (does that mean the dark spotty kind?) and Caramel (also called Toffee) is a yellow one. I'm assuming the babies are both of theirs. We bought them on Thursday, had eggs by Saturday so I assume it was the drop in temperature from aquarium to here that motivated them to breed? I'm just hoping they don't try again!

If the babies do survive, what sort/colours are we likely to get, do you think?

I'm waiting for my Axy's to breed, I have 3 females and one male of breeding age.....
Cant wait! :happy:

I think if you are prepared for it, and have access to the right food sources it could be pretty fun. For us the breeding was an accident and it has all been rather stressful. The little babies are cute, and they are still swimming around, but I'm still rather doubtful of their survival. :( I am still in awe though at these amazing creatures.:happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back