Tap safe question

Woodsie

Reaction score
Country
England
About a week ago I posted a thread reguarding a grey mucous/mold,who knows what, on my Axolotl. Ive been salt bathing him morning & night, and it does seem to have reduced some what.
Is there a limit to how many salt baths he should be having ?
They appear to be having no adverse affects on him. Seems bright enough,eating well,and showing no signs of any gill damage.
My other thought is the tap safe im using. Its 'AquaSafe' by Tetra.It says it promotes the mucous layers (on a fish). Is there any way it could be causing an over production mucous on the Axolotl?
Like i say apart from showing this grey 'stuff',the axolotl never in anyway acted ill or sick.

Attachments

• Captured 2010-7-15 00002.jpg
    Captured 2010-7-15 00002.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 243
The "gray" stuff may be related to a temperature fluctuation, meaning that his temps probably got too high sometime. Aquasafe should not have anything at all to do with it. However, there have been cases where the owner did not know what may have caused it - like you, but rest assured, he should recover fine. ;)

Sometimes fridging along with the salt baths can increase the healing rate. I have also read about success with the use of tea baths for this sort of problem and tea baths are far less stressful. As far as I know, there isn't a limit on how long to continue salt baths but I worry about stressing the poor little guys! ;) If I don't get what I consider a reasonable response from salt baths alone, I add fridging usually after the third day. So far this has always proven successful for me. FRIDGING

Someone else may have different experiences in this area than I. I have never used the tea bath method personally, but have read of positive outcomes. The tea baths procedure can be found mid way down this page - CC: Illness Part 2

Good luck!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back