Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: I best ask these questions before we get Axies

davearnett

Reaction score
Me and my girlfriend are currently in the process of getting 2 tanks. We also know of someone selling axolotl babies. We know after a certain amount of time we can keep them together and I will be making sure that they are same sex.

What I wanted to know was:

Where can I get food for them online in canada were there shipping isn't going to cost the world ?

Can I use local night-crawlers ? I have heard that they can harbour parasites and other nasties but local ones would ensure a steady food supply for our new pets.

SeanB

Reaction score
The website i couldnt tell you.
The local Crawlers would be fine. Just look into them and if you think they would i would just kill them in hot water and wash them a little.

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Night crawlers will be fine as long as they are from an area where there is no pollution from insecticides etc. I would not personally kill them in hot water, just offer as they are..if too big , cut to size. I keep a wormery , so I have a constant supply for my animals.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1