New Tank Set-Up Coming Soon

SeanB

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
GasMaskKid
Well Im geeting a 40Gallon Breeder Tank (3ft x 1.5ft).
I plan on doing a SLATE bottom after nickjwes great idea! (GREAT TANK) Must Look!:D
Im going to go with a Zoo Med 501 filter! Wonderfull filter and the reviews look GREAT!
Havent thought about getting a BUBBLER, i think i will just to be safe!
A 3 Piece DRIFTWOOD set fromAquariumPlants.com Largest online sales / service site for the live aquarium plants & aquarium products community.
Im going to go with FAKE PLANTS, dont think i have the light to get real ones.(Room Stays Dark)
I get the tank tomorrow and i was excited so i wanted to post my idea!

Of course if you have any pointers plz let me know! I love to make my Axie as happy as possible!

:happy:!!!!Thank You Caudata!!!!:happy:

I have a Zoo Med 501, the pipes are a little short so you will have to stand it on something (I have mine on a box). But apart from that its a very good filter. I'm not a massive fan of the glued down slates, I would probably mix them with sand.

I did a little research on the Zoo Med 501, it all supports up to 30Gallons, Im getting a 40 Gallon Breeder Tank. Would it not work?

I had one of those Mini Canisters.

It has the aesthetics of a can, nice and sleek and lack in cluttersome objects but its not any where near as powerful or as efficient as a typical one. Spray bar does a good job at keeping the entire surface agitated but the surface space for media in the chamber is limited so it fills up with detritus and what not fast which in turn slows down the performance of that spray bar anyway.

I would mod it slightly. I would use the can itself for nothing but Bio media. Canister filters lack oxygen in the chamber and bio filtration is actually very lacking so I would add all bio media and I would get a round sponge for a Hydor sponge filter, place it in the freezer, and drill a hle in it so it fits the intake as your mechanical filter.

Or just use it as an all mechanical filter by adding nothing but mechanical media ( ie. filter floss ) to the chamber.

If it was my tank with a set up like that slate bottom I would just use a air driven sponge for bio and thats it. That bare bottom makes for a quick and easy manual cleaning.

Thats just me.

I did a little research on the Zoo Med 501, it all supports up to 30Gallons, Im getting a 40 Gallon Breeder Tank. Would it not work?

It would be fine for your tank, don't worry.

I agree, great little filter, the only thing I would change is get longer pipes, if i new the corect size of pipe.

I love the 501s and use air stones with mine set up at the opposite end from the filter for surface agitation. (I have 55s which are 4 ft long and the spray bar is not enough to keep that annoying "oil slick" off the top)

I bought hangers for mine and hang them right on the back or the tank so the longer tubing was not necessary.

http://a763.g.akamai.net/7/763/1644/16/app.infopia.com/img/image/fp/VPID/1505439/img16/img.jpg

@Mac - I love the idea of the Purigen as I agree the recommended carbon bag is not very effective in these filters. I actually use a Whisper sleeve (cotton filament) with double carbon inside of it instead of the standard carbon bag recommended for the 501.

Okay kewl, yeah I looked at your set-up last night, and saw you had a 55Gallon tank so i figured it would be fine for mine! Thank You!
I was doing some price checking, Im going to make a stand for the tank since I cant find one.
I think it would be cheaper to get the Zoo Med 501 online, my local Petsmart still want $60 for it.....I found it online for like $41 with shipping.
I still have time to think about it, I wont get my tank done for like a month.
Pick the tank up today and im getting Tile for it and thats about it for now.
The stand will be next, than filter and the other Decors/Hides!

I bought hangers for mine and hang them right on the back or the tank so the longer tubing was not necessary.

http://a763.g.akamai.net/7/763/1644/16/app.infopia.com/img/image/fp/VPID/1505439/img16/img.jpg

I messed up and set my tank up too close to the wall!

@Mac - I love the idea of the Purigen as I agree the recommended carbon bag is not very effective in these filters. I actually use a Whisper sleeve (cotton filament) with double carbon inside of it instead of the standard carbon bag recommended for the 501.

It works great although I have "The Bag" filled with too much right now. I think one of the prefilled bags would be great. :happy:

@Mac - can't mount it on an end? I love my hangers - saves so much space.

@SeanB - check again, I've seen them on eBay cheaper than that. I just saw one for about $31 shipped. Happy hunting!

Yeah same here!
I felt bad cuase i went out to eat with My Car Club friends and was on my phone price hunting.
Haha didnt really say a word, just looking up the filter and some Decors/Hides.
All well, my Axie comes first. Just need to make money.

@Mac - can't mount it on an end? I love my hangers - saves so much space.

Uh... huhyuck...Duh.......I hadn't even though of that! :eek: My IQ goes down about 3 points a day I think. I have a hinged metal screen top. I've already cut holes for everything (not as easy as I thought) but I might look at that because the hole for both tubes on the 501 is only about 1.5" around. I could hang it on the far side of the tank. It would be out of view (wife would like that) and In a better spot. Heh... Thanks. Boy... I'm losing it. :D

MOST of the time the only difference is that reptile tanks often have a sliding screen top... which is great. SOME however are drilled at the bottom or side near the bottom to allow for wires so you can put dumb stuff you should be using anyway (Like hot rocks). A few used to be made with thin glass and were unsuitable for holding water. I haven't seen anything like those in stores in quite a while.
If it's not drilled it'll should work fine assuming it's not 1/16" glass or something. I can't remember what you said at first (cause I'm older than dirt)... but if it's USED and was used for reptiles then a good cleaning is in order. :happy:

Yeah, I think im going to just sell it and get a fish tank.
I filled it about 3/4th of water and cleaned it, but other forums said to let it set for 2weeks outside with a full tank and if wont break you should be okay.
The glas on the side are only .1 of a inch thicker than my 20Gallon.
it is at .3 of and inch, 7.5MM
Some say its fin but a 40Gallon is almost 10MM of glass thickness.

Someone said they give me &75 for it, If he buys, i found a 40Gallon breeder 36"Lx18D"x16"H fih tank on sale for $103.

I want to be safe than sorry, I still live with my parents and i dont think they would like 40Gallon spilled on there Hard Wood floor and do damage.......
I cant afford that, I work off of tips and getting a new job is hard, So i would be SOL!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back