New Dart Frogger

JimO

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello,

I mostly keep dart frogs, but have always wanted to try salamanders. They are one of my favorite groups of animals. I've lived most of my life in Florida and have always collected reptiles and amphibians, but I have never once found a salamander in Northeast Florida where I live, which I find odd. I've seen several types in the Blue Ridge mountains on vacation, but never down here.

Anyway, it's good to have found this site.

Welcome to the forum!
I live in the Melbourne area, and I too have never seen a newt or salamander (well, with the exception of an amphiuma) in Fl. I go to college in NW Ga however, and we're LOADED up there.

That's so cool that you keep Dart Frogs!
I have some questions for you. If I recall, their toxicity comes mostly from their diet. If you feed them appropriately, can they be touched and held safely? Are they hard to keep?

Welcome to the forum!

Hannah, in captivity all dendrobatids are completely harmless. Without the specific chemicals they get from ants and other invertebrates in their natural habitat, they can´t produce any toxin.
Some species are considered easy (after their fashion) to keep. I know of a few people who have started in the hobby with Epipedobates tricolor or Dendrobates auratus.
Gorgeous animals the lot of them...but i dread the day that i´ll allow myself to get one :S

Greetings. I'm in Florida too. Never seen a Newt or Salamander. I've only seen 2 crayfish. 1 bear (dead), 1 bobcat (dead) 1 Indigo Snake (not dead).
I used to keep darts too. They are great animals. My wife made me go bug less when we moved. So no more insect eating critters. :happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back