Question: Getting Set Up!

tmorgan

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Tahnee
Hi everyone! :D
I am new to this site as of today and I am very excited to start having axolotls! I was wondering if there are any tips out there for someone new to axolotls? What exactly do I need? I've been reading a lot about them, but some things I haven't been able to find. I am still learning how to navigate this site so maybe this posting is up somewhere else and I missed it? :confused:

Well anyways here is what I have:
I have a 55 gallon tank I got that is about 4 feet long. I got a long tank because I read that they like to hang out around the bottom. :happy:
I would like to get sand for the bottom because I know that if they eat pebbles they can die. Any suggestions on what kind of sand would be good for this?

I've read several different postings on live plants. Which ones are the best for my kind of set up and which ones are easy to grow?

What type of wood can go into a tank? I live near a very nice creek with a lot of different types of wood that are really interesting. Could I boil the wood to get any germs off of it or would I be better off ordering some online?

Also, can you think of anything that I might need to get set up before I get the little guys? I am in the preparation stage so the water hasn't been added, I just want to get everything all together before I set up. :)

Thank you so much for any help! :D
Tahnee

Hi Tahnee and welcome :happy:
I'd recommend that you buy a test kit to show the water conditions.
The (API) freshwater testing kit that I use tests for pH, Ammonia, Nitrites, and Nitrates. It's simple to use with it's small test-tubes and the colour chart.
You'll need a something like Tetra Aquasafe to treat the water before adding it, this rids the water of chlorine/chloramine/trace metals.
I'm so glad that you're not using gravel and have a large tank, and are asking all the right questions ;)
There are plenty of threads on the forum which cover the substrate issue, from bare bottom, slate, sand, etc.
As for plants, they need to be hardy and not mind low light levels. You can't go wrong with Anubias, Java fern, Java moss for a start.
Axolotls will do best if you don't let the water temperature go over 70f. Again, there are numerous threads on cooling.
Ordering wood that is safe for aquarium use might give you the peace of mind that if there is a problem, then you can be fairly sure it's not being caused by the wood.
Provide a few 'hidey-holes' where they can have some 'personal space' and make sure you have an adequate source of earthworms and these guys will be in paradise :D
Have a read of this link; Caudata Culture Newcomer Articles and make sure you understand the process of 'cycling', and feel free to post any questions :happy:

Hope this helps

Last edited:
Ken,

Thank you so much! I do have a water testing kit. It's a master test? Something like that. :) Getting worms will be no problem for me! I've got a lot out in the garden!
I do have a water treatment for it too. so that's covered! I have cycled a tank before for a salt water tank so that is helpful. :)
Thank you so much for the info on the plants!
I might order some wood but do you think drift wood from my creek would be ok if I boiled it first to ensure it kills the bacteria? It might be better to play it safe though... I want the tank to look as natural as possible. :)
The hidey hole thing is good to know. I think I read that they do sometimes like to hide!

Thank you so much for the help!

Hi, I'm glad you found that useful :happy:
As for the wood, if you could have a fairly accurate guess as to the species, this might help ( as some beautiful wood still might leech toxins into the water or alter the pH).
I would thoroughly boil some nice pieces that you've found for 2-3 hours, changing the water when neccessary, and wait for some-one experienced to add their advice.
This link might be of interest; Caudata Culture Articles - Wood in Vivaria and also http://www.caudata.org/forum/f1173-.../63462-do-yourself-fake-wood-cheapskates.html thank Johnny for that!
Hope this helps ;)

Last edited:
Thank you for all of the help! It's much appreciated. :) It's so nice that a site like this is around! I do have one last question... do you know of some sites to get wood/plants from? I was wondering if there are more?

Have a look at a pet shop and see if they have aquarium wood. Whatever wood you choose to get i would boil it anyway.

I'll second that, Bethany :happy:

As for the plants, I've bought mine from pet-shops and also online (ebay). If they're hardy enough to cope with the axolotl hooligan-element, then the plants can survive a day or two in the mail! Expect a few hitch-hiking snails to appear, by the way!

Ok thank you! So what exactly should be on my list of things to buy? I know I need to get sand somewhere... I didn't see any aquarium sand at Petco today and that is pretty much the only store we have around here for pets. I want to get some live plants as well. :) Speaking of snails, is it ok if I put snails in with the axolotls? I have a bunch in another tank. I know that there would be a good chance of them eating the snails, but I thought it would help keep the tank clean?
What about rock? I saw that they have various kinds of rock for aquariums. Does it matter what kind? Do any affect the axies?

So I am making a list of things to buy to get set up. :)
Any suggestions to add to my list?

Thank you all so much! You are all very helpful!

Tahnee (Excited newcomer)

how exciting...from what ive read you can get sand from walmart(i think that is it) chilrens play sand is the stuff you need. you also need a hide or 2, plants (real or fake).....i have fake and that is because i kill every plant i own.....water testers(not the strips), a good filter with a flow controller(axies dont like fast currents)....im sure i have forgotten something...good luck and dodnt forget to post some photos when you get everything set up.
lea

Just as Lea says....

Avoid 'reptile' sand or 'marine aquarium sand' and also industrial builders sand.
In the UK, some childrens play sand is fine when fully rinsed.

The API master test kit is the one I use; should last a good while.

Think of the small snails that come (like it or not!) with the plants as being a small part of the eco-system that you are setting up, I think they'll only be a pest if you get them grow in numbers....they're not really considered to be on the menu for axies, though

Good luck with the axies, feel free to post questions, all the best

For my hides I plan on maybe (not sure yet) making something out of bamboo. I have a LOT of the stuff and I thought I could make something out of it. :) I would let it dry out and boil it and pierce it before adding it to the tank. Thank you for all of the great information! I've never had any amphibians or anything quite like this so I am very excited to get everything set up! :)

just reading up on everything :) Im setting a tank up too and spotted what ken had wrote, bit worried because the fish shop sold me aquarium sand and im panicing a bit now, should I take it out?

Depends on the sand."Saltwater" sand is bad. Silica or quartz sand is ok. Sometimes Petco near me has sand by Caribsea. Either their Tahitian moon sand or they also make a very fine sand as well.
No calcium sand. Try Home Depot for Children's play sand.
Rinse well. :happy:

mmm... the bag just says pettex roman gravel : pewter sand from silicate aggregates. I want some of this moon sand :)
sorry for hiijacking your post t.morgan :)x

Vampybabe,

No problem. :) I am needing to know all of that too! There is a lot to learn. :) I am excited to get the little guys, but just want to make sure the tank is all set up before bringing them home!

I have another question: I know that there is a website called buy-axolotls.com that you can purchase off of. Does anyone have experience with that? Or I could find someone on this site. :)

Thank you to everyone that has given me such great advice! I am slowly setting everything up. Going to go shopping after work today to see if I can find some suitable sand. Does anyone know where I can get the Tahitian moon sand? Maybe a website to order it from? I live in a small town in Oregon and there's a petco and one other pet store. I didn't see the sand at Petco and I don't think it will be at our other store because it is very small. Are there some reliable websites to order these kind of things from?

Thank you again. :)

Oh I also have a 20 gallon tank that I just got with all the extra parts. I think I could probably use it if I end up buying juveniles so that they don't nip at each other.
What do you guys think? :)

Petco or Petsmart can order it from Caribsea. Or they sell it on their online sites. I had a local pet store order it for me. Any store that sells CaribSea products can get it for you in a couple of days. :happy:

Mac,

Thank you for letting me know! :) I will have to try that! I think I might get natural sand at first because I like that look. :) Would you know a good place/ breeder by any chance? I'd like to find a good place to find some. I don't know if there are any located in Oregon. :(

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back