Air Stones

Brasco

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi folks. First post here.

I bought my first axolotl on Saturday and yesterday bought an air stone and pump because I'd read that it can help to cool the tank down.

Now his favourite thing in the world to do is swim in the bubbles and let them float him to the top of the tank then swim away and slowly float to the bottom, then rinse/repeat. Is this normal?

I've been experiencing new pet owner paranoia the last few days, but I noticed when I got him that he had a little bit of white fungus on one of his back toes, and when I got home from work today it was gone, so I must be doing something right. I was having trouble keeping his water clear (it was getting slightly cloudy) so I did a few small water changes the last couple of days and it seems alot better.

I'm still quite concerned that I'm doing the right things by him. He's growing on me very quickly.

Last edited:
Sounds normal to me, enjoy it as not many are active as yours sounds ;)

Well it looks like he's tired himself out now. He's taken rest in the corner closest to where I'm sitting.

I call it the bubble bounce. He will probably do it less in a few days when the novelty wears off. Enjoy watching him!

They can be so funny. I remember when I got my original 3 their first airstone. They would take turns riding the bubbles to the top, then swimming around the tank, and getting in line to do it again. I laughed so hard.

Sounds like you're definitely on the right track with the water quality too. Small water changes more frequently are often more effective than large water changes. Just keep an eye (and nose) on your water :)

Sounds like you have quite a character! lol

BTW - Welcome to the forum! Always nice to greet an enthusiastic new owner! :D

Love to hear more about your new guy - maybe some pics?...Details....we love details! ;)

In case you haven't already, make sure you have test kits for pH, nitrite/nitrate, and ammonia (drop type tests are better, strip tests are unreliable). You mentioned a little possible fungus, keep a close eye out for that and keep his temp as constant as possible. Also, was he being kept on gravel where you got him from? What is he on now? Gravel is often mistakenly recommended by pet shops for axolotls when it is actually very dangerous for them. We all too, want the best for your pet just as much as you do!

So, if you ever have any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate.

Yeah I have him on gravel. I've heard conflicting reports about it. Am I better off with large flat stones? (1" round and bigger)

I've called him Tuco. I wanted to call him something mexican, and Tuco is 'the ugly' from "The Good, the Bad, & The Ugly", although I'm finding him cuter by the day. He has a funny little face, and it's hilarious to watch him play in the bubbles.

I think my biggest hassle is (and will be) temperature. We're in the middle of winter here and I'm struggling to keep his tank below 20 degrees. I will most definitely have to buy a chiller before summer.

I've been feeding him turtle dinners and bloodworms, but I think I'm going to have to upgrade to earthworms when I can source some, because the ones I'm feeding him now are way too messy. He just tried to swallow a turtle dinner cube whole. Failed massively LOL. He looked a bit undersized from other photos I've seen, so I've been feeding him two days in a row, then skipping a day, then two days again.

I'll try and post some photos and a video of him playing in his bubbles, but they're only crappy iphone quality.

BTW - I say 'him' because from what I've read on identifying sexes i think he's a dude. He has a small bulge behind either side of his back leg.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back