Hello from Ohio

BTilly

Reaction score
Country
United States
Just wanted to say hello and introduce myself. I have bred and raised many different reptiles, arachnids and fish. I currently have a fish room in my basement which I am raising african, central and south american cichlids. I have been thinking of breeding some sort of gecko again but decided against it because I didnt want to deal with crickets. I saw some axolotls at a reptile show and knew right then and there this was going to be my new interest and breeding project.

I have plenty of aquariums, having a linear pump running my current fish room I will have sponge filters cleaning my water and each tank has its own air valve to control the water movement, and as far as food goes the axolotls eat alot of the same food I feed my fish. I use decapsulated brine shrimp for my fry, feed black worms, earth worm and many sorts of pellets to my adult fish. I have some tanks that I do not heat and the water temperature stays right around 67 in the summer months. These tanks are located very low to the ground and my house is air conditioned.

I will be picking up 3 melanoid and 4 GFP axolotls this week. They are all under 3 months old so I will housing the individually for a while.

I hope to post some picks once they are acclimated to their new homes.

Bob

Welcome, sounds like you are all set to have some fun with axolotls!

Hi Cherry and Jen
Yes I am ready and excited. I will be getting my axies earlier then I thought. I am picking them up thursday morning.:happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back