Calcium Deficeiency

Herbp

Reaction score
Country
United States
My albino axolotl appears to have two non functioning rear legs. When I look at them the bones appear to be transparent. He is about a two years old and has never shown signs of this before, and the other (wild variety) axolotl in the same tank is doing fine. I am not sure if it is a deformity or calcium deficiency. But I am going to add some calcium to the tank, via a desolvable calcium supplement. I've foolishly been using RO water with aquarium salt added (I know axolotls like slightly alkaline water) but I hate the calcium deposits on the tank, and have plants. Let this be a lesson to anyone using RO for axolotls. What do you guys think?

The axolotl skeleton is primarily cartilage so it is not abnormal for it to appear semi-transparent. I don't think it would be wise to add calcium to the water at all.

Are you sure he has lost complete usage of his legs? I have seen them hold their legs nearly vertical next to their bodies for long periods of time, only to observe them later completely normal.

What does "RO water" mean, please?

Isn't a calcium deficiency something a vet could check?

-Eva

I would just leave him. My axolotl too holds his legs funny and doesnt move then for a long time but he then swims around and uses his legs. I wouldn't add anything to the water. If you see him swimming and he still isnt using his legs then maybe get a vet to check him. Its probably not cheap and some people would see it as silly but its up to you. The only other thing is that if he's eating fine and acting normal and doesnt seem to be in pain or anything then just leave him.

What has been the axolotl´s diet?
I would be very wary of adding a calcium source directly to the water.

I suspect you're probably right about the RO water being the root of the problem. Metabolic processes rely on a number elements which you've removed from the water. Certainly at a hobbyist level I don't think there's any recommended supplement treatment for aquatic amphibians. Calcium is absorbed cutaneously in various degrees dependant on a number of factors - see:http://jeb.biologists.org/cgi/reprint/184/1/47.pdf.

Firstly, stop using the RO water and forget the supplements. Dechlorinated tap water is all you need. Secondly start feeding a diet well balanced in Ca:p - earthworms are the obvious choice.

I have no idea if the animal will recover.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back