Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Injury from eating??

harliquinnraver

Reaction score
Valentine is a large 2+ year old albino axolotl.

I offered her an earthworm a few minutes ago and she took it quickly and wrestled with it for a bit. I don't think it was overly large for her but when she had it mostly swallowed and just the tail end poking out of her mouth, I noticed a little bit of blood flowing out into the water from just behind her gills on one side. She swallowed the worm just fine but the flow of blood definitely became heaver and seemed to be coming from a small section of her gill filaments. It continued for several minutes and then stopped.

I'm trying to figure out exactly what happened. Do you think maybe she wrestled too aggressively with the worm and burst a blood vessel or something? When my husband saw her bleeding he was freaked out and I have to admit, I was too. I'm reasonably sure the blood wasn't coming from the worm, as it seemed to be coming from the tip of one gill.

I'm going to stick with offering her much smaller worms for a while just in case.
She seems perfectly fine now, no more blood but man that scared the wits out of me!

Has anyone else had this happen?? :(

edit: yes, it was definitely HER blood and not from the worm. I found the source. It was indeed the end of a gill filament or two that was bleeding.

Last edited:

BethanyKate

Reaction score
Honestly i have no idea. I suppose if your axie is okay then it probably wasnt too serious

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1