Flubendazole and Flagyl (Metronidazol)

eljorgo

Banned
Reaction score
Country
Madeira
I´ve got today these two (Flubendazole and Flagyl (Metronidazol)) And wanted to know the dosage and if could mix both to treat my paramesotriton illness and worm problems. Witch one should I start with? I was going to get Fenbendazole but sadly no available. Got Flubendazole witch has same effects but no info on dosages in captive care.
Please help. Any help or info you could give I will appreciate the most.
Thank you very much friends,

Jorge

Try doing a search of the forum archives for each of the drug names. You may find old discussions that include dosages and methods. I think these drugs may need to be applied orally, so that's going to be a challenge.

I don't have any info about flubendazole, but you could try with flagyl first, it's both an antiparasitic and antimicrobial agent.

The dosage for amphibians is the following:

*10 mg/kg PO (orally) every 24 hours , 5-10 days

*or 50 mg / L x 24 h bath

Be carefull about the dosages! Amphibians are very tiny. Maybe you should ask to a vet in person.

Thank you so much Oziris and Jennifer for your kind replies!

Jennifer, I have already done that and found many stuff already. Saw topics from you, Ed, Frank pasmans... Many stuff but indeed could not find dosage.

Oziris, thanks for your availability! Were did you got those valours? Seem nice if i can give them a bath :) how many water centimetres in depth might be, and how long the bath should take? Matter of minutes or more?

Thanks!

Jorge

Oziris, thanks for your availability! Were did you got those valours? Seem nice if i can give them a bath :) how many water centimetres in depth might be, and how long the bath should take? Matter of minutes or more?

Thanks!

Jorge

The dosages have been taken from a book, Reptile Medicine and Surgery by D. Mader. It has several chapters dedicated to amphibians too.

The best treatment would be orally, but in amphibians...as Jennifer said, it's a challenge. About the bath , you should dissolve 50 mg of metronidazol per litre, and put the animal 24 hours. That's what the book say. But I've never tried with mine.

I must say again, be careful with dosage. you should reckon how much metronidazol has 1 pill and then break it (if necessary) or add more than 1 pill (if necessary) to get 50 mg.

Okay, yes no problem. Calculus are very fine to me. Do not worry 50mg will be the dosage in on liter. But how about deepness? If water is too shallow animals with climb out. I put them 24h and then interval of one day? 2 days till put them there again?

When you say
*10 mg/kg PO (orally) every 24 hours , 5-10 days

What means PO? thank you!

Jorge

The main idea is to keep contact with water as much as possible, so don't allow it to emerge : floating plants o a little rock under water surface will provide a surface to be attached being underwater.

Usually, antiparasitics are given once. Do it once and see what happens.

PO means orally, to give drugs in the mouth to swallow.

Regards, good luck

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question but wouldn't it be possible to inject the drug into a worm and then give it to the newt? I know a worm is small but then the amount for the drug needed is not going to be huge either...?

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question but wouldn't it be possible to inject the drug into a worm and then give it to the newt? I know a worm is small but then the amount for the drug needed is not going to be huge either...?

If you are able to do it by this way, marvelous! I think the main problem is to split up the pill.
Regards

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back