Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Raising Larvae

hattori

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have an unidentified larvae - posted a larvae identification thread, but after I posted decent pictures, no-one replied - and am curious as to what I should expect from it.

I've had it about two and a half months - just caught in a pond in North Carolina. (pictures are posted below...)

Assuming it's a spotted salamander, which were the guesses given to me before via a very poor quality picture, when should I expect it to loose it's gills and such? Will it change colors first?

This is my first larvae, so I'm curious as to the process that it changes into an adult.

Thanks for any help!

hattori-albums-larvae-picture11297-img-0507.jpg

hattori-albums-larvae-picture11296-img-0506.jpg

**NOTE - it's a little darker in color now.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It doesn't look like Ambystoma to me, but I'm not good at IDs. Before it morphs, you will see some distinct changes: the gills will shrink, the tail fin will narrow, the head shape will change. If you aren't sure, or suspect changes, put an island of some kind into the tank just in case. They can drown if they don't have a way to emerge.

Keep it well fed (constant food available). The larger it grows as a larva, the better its chances after it morphs.

Nathan

Reaction score
Looks like a Notophthalmus to me. I can't see any costal grooves, which is typical for notos at all life stages. Now that it's darker, does it have a dark stripe through the eye?

In any case, Jennewt's advice is good whether it's a newt or not. It's hard to predict when it will metamorphose; that will depend on water quality, growth rate, and its genetics. If it is a newt, that complicates things: eastern newts can be neotenic (never metamorphose).

hattori

Reaction score
hattori-albums-larvae-picture11507-img-0616.jpg

hattori-albums-larvae-picture11509-img-0617.jpg

hattori-albums-larvae-picture11511-img-0622.jpg

That's what he looks like as of this morning. Sorry for the bad picture quality!

I can't get a really good look at his eyes...

hattori

Reaction score
It does have a dark stripe through the eyes!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1