Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Recommend an external filter for 180 litre tank.

dazkeirle

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm more than aware now that the filter in my tank acts as a heat source and so will need removing.

I'm happy to go for an external filter, however am cautious about power and current (and of course other factors such as noise and cost)

Rather than research forever I thought I'd put this out there and ask for your recommendations on what you use?

Right now I'm considering a Hagen Fluval 205 External Aquarium Filter which is good for 680 LPH for aquariums up to 200 litre, you can get spray bars that clip on and it look pretty good...

Last edited by a moderator:

dazkeirle

Reaction score
alos looking into the Eheim filter range, especially the professional models as they let you see what the inside look like and are comparable in price and output, such as this one...

but then i see that Rea, tetra etc all have equivalent products so i suppose it has to be on recommendation and reviews.

Any suggestions?

tomkeogh

Reaction score
I use the 2224 it is recommended for tanks upto 250litre, I only have 150litre and current is no problem at all, I fitted two spray bars going along the length of the tank.

It is easy to clean etc and runs silent. If I rememeber I picked it up for £80

dazkeirle

Reaction score
Sweet Tom thanks,

I had a feeling that's what you were running.

I like the concept of a visible chamber so you can see how murkey it's getting.

The spray bars adapter to fit or do Eheim sell specific ones?

May need to speak to you soon about rearing baby Axies, went to garden centre the weekend and GF is now insisting that we use our small tank as a nursery to rear baby Axies, not sure whether to start with eggs or just buy some babys.

How has your experiences with the eggs been, worth the hassle for just 4-5 babies? Has it been a fun and enjoyable process?

daniellog

Reaction score
I just use a Zoo Med Turtle Canister Filter 501, works great.

tomkeogh

Reaction score
It comes with a 12" spray bar and I just bought an extra one from e-bay for a couple quid. that filter uses the 12/16mm tubing so just search for 12/16 eheim spray bar

My leucistic has just laid eggs if you would like a few let me know

Last edited:

dazkeirle

Reaction score
It comes with a 12" spray bar and I just bought an extra one from e-bay for a couple quid. that filter uses the 12/16mm tubing so just search for 12/16 eheim spray bar

My leucistic has just laid eggs if you would like a few let me know

Hi Tom,

Are all of the eggs leucistic also or is it too early to tell? I'm not an expert on genetics.

I'm looking to get another leucistic baby, a baby wild and a baby melanoid.

I'm also seeing a lot of the sandy colourations with spots around these boards as well, are these considered wildtype?

tomkeogh

Reaction score
no, my leucistic and albino have just laid, well my leucistic was the one doing the laying the albino was just staying out the way

harliquinnraver

Reaction score
I just bought a Fluval 205 for my 40 gallon breeder tank and I LOVE it! The axies like it too! You can adjust the output flow so that the current isn't so strong.

I think I'll be picking one up for my large tropical tank too. :)

ghogg

Reaction score
I can recommend the Aqua One range, I have the 700 version which is suitable up to 230l . Flow isn't adjustable but it comes with spreader bars etc and with the output into a chiller the flow is pretty low. Very easy to maintain with taps on the tubing so its easy to remove and clean.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have also used Fluval canister filters and been happy with them. In terms of durability, the Eheims are better-made long-lasting filters, but they generally lack the ability to adjust the flow rate, and that's really useful for an axie tank. In buying filters for axies, you can generally downsize the filter one size smaller that what the manufacturer recommends; this is because you want the lower flow rate.

dazkeirle

Reaction score
Thanks Jennewt and all others for their input. It seams Fluval have a big following here.

The Fluval 205 is only £4 more expensive than the slightly smaller 105 and as the rate is adjustable I think it would make sense to buy the larger, then should I upgrade again :)eek:) I'll be covered.

Also £59 is pretty good for an external. I think I may go for it.

How loud is that external filter?

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It should be very close to dead-silent. If the room is completely quiet and you are close to it, you might be able to hear a faint hum, but it's as close to silent as you can get.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1