Weird Creatures: Axolotl Episode

Sean Brady

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Sean Brady
I just finished watching a new episode of Weird Creatures about Axolotls on Science Channel. I missed just under the first half of the show, but when I started watching it, Nick Baker, the host of the show, was in Mexico City talking about Axolotls. Then, he spent most of the rest of the show (2-3 days in reality, he says) searching for a wild axolotl in its native lake. He finds one and they bring it to a laboratory for research. After this, Nick and some researchers release some axolotls that were being researched into a closed section of canal seperated from the lake. There are no predators in this closed section, such as African Tilapia.

The website for Weird Creatures is: Weird Creatures With Nick Baker : Science Channel. The Episode Guide for this episode says, "The Axolotl is a type of salamander that Nick has kept as a pet for two decades. He learns about its unique biology that holds great promise for medical science, and discovers how Mexico City's development has driven this creature to the edge of extinction."

I do not currently have an axolotl, but I plan on getting one or more eventually. This episode was very informative and interesting and I will try to find out when it is on again so I can watch the part that I missed.

Last edited:
Wow, that's very interesting! When I searched to see if anyone else had talked about this topic it came up with that thread, but I only read a few posts there and didn't reach Nick Baker's. That's awesome that he's posted on this site.

Does anybody know of a download link for this episode of Weird Creatures?
It seems nowhere to be found in the internet @@

Thanks in advance.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back